Capresso C1000 Super Auto - Wes Marshall's Review
Posted: June 28, 2005, 4:50pm
Capresso C1000 Super Auto

Arrow The Capresso C1000 Super Auto has 28 Reviews
Arrow The Capresso C1000 Super Auto has been rated 7.78 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Capresso C1000 Super Auto reviews have been viewed 136,410 times (updated hourly).

Wes Marshall 8.20
Mark Fletcher 8.00
Scott Pace 8.00
John Cauffiel 7.50
Roy McGinnis 7.00

Manufacturer: Capresso Quality: 1
Where Bought: COrnerstone Hardware Aesthetics 2
Bottom Line: Caveat emptor!

People who know nothing about coffe go, "Gee whiz!"
Push one button for espresso or a plain old cup'o'jo

Breaks down more often than my 1978 Fiat.
Expensive to repair
Have to set the grind very carefully or all you get is dark water.
My wife, who was a Phi Beta Kappa, could never figure out how to make a Capuccino

We bought this machine about six years ago.  It replaced a $100 steam espresso maker and a Krups drip grind.  We made the purchase because the store selling it told us they had been using their's for three years in the store (free coffee for all) and had never had a problem.  At first, we were enthralled with the quality increase and ease of use.  Once we got the finnicky grind setting  set and found the right coffee, we started getting good, dependable cups (espresso for me, full cups of coffee for her).   We had our first problem shortly after we got the machine.  The process started to take much longer and be accompanied by excessive steam output.  A call to the store, some scratching of heads, and we were finally told that it was our fault.  We were using coffee that was too oily.  If we wanted to continue to use that coffee, we were told, we would have to let it sit out in the open for several days until the oil evaporated (!)

We finally found a less oily coffee we liked (thank goodness we weren't wanting to use ESPRESSO roast!!!).  We kept going, though my wife would never use it to make a capuccino - too many steps for her.  The little door where you can put in "other" coffees (i.e. preground) broke off, even though we are quite careful and there are no children i the house.  Then, shortly after the waranty period ran out, all hell broke loose.

I won't go into the details, but, Capresso's response was that if it was out of warranty, it was out of warranty.  They did, however, offer a 1 year extended warranty for $125.  When I asked how much the repair would cost, it was guesstimated at ---- can you guess?  $125.  I bought the one year warranty.

A few weeks after the one year mark, another serious issue arose (plus more flimsy plastic parts had self-destructed).  Another call.  Ditto from the year before.  If it was out of warranty, it was out of warranty.  I bought another 1 year extended warranty for $125.

Just like a junkie who couldn't give up his drug, this happened to me every year.  Just past the anniversary date, the C1000 would break down and I would have to spend another $125.

This year, I decided enough was enough.  I called Capresso and told them about this year's problem (dirty water leaking out the bottom at the rate of about 8-10 ounces per brew).  As the nice young lady started to explain to me about the wonderful $125 extended warranty, I stopped her and told her I had tired of spending $125 every year to keep the machine going.

Suddenly a supervisor burst on the line.  She told me that she had been monitoring the call and that she was authorized to provide me with a rebuilt E8 for $499 or an F9 for $999.

That's when I decided to do a little research and found out about all these fun toys with Faema E61 groupheads and heat exchangers.

Thanks to this plethora of information, I am going crazy.

The vendor is a hardware store in a high income area that is trying to be all things to all people.  When I told them of the final breakdown, the swore they would get some response from Capresso.  That was a week ago.

Maybe Capresso doesn't give a rat's behind about their dealers?

Additional note from 2/25/2006

After several weeks, the best I could get form the dealer was, "Gosh, that really is a nice offer Capresso is making for you.    I mean, an F9 for $999 is really a good deal!"

No more good money after bad from me.  Neither Capresso nor their new overlords, Jura will ever cross the threshhold into the Marshall abode again.   We bought a Quickmill Andreja Premium from Chris's Coffee and have been living the good life.  Yes, it takes a few more steps to make a great cup of what we want, but it takes a few steps to make a great Margarita, or a great Bernaise sauce, or to write a decent review.  It's worth the trouble.

My advice:  Don't buy the C1000.

Posted: June 28, 2005, 4:50pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.192952871323)