Capresso Pro - Mark Joy's Review
Posted: July 27, 2009, 8:06am
Capresso Pro Espresso Machine

Arrow The Capresso Pro has 4 Reviews
Arrow The Capresso Pro has been rated 7.15 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since November 2, 2003.
Arrow Capresso Pro reviews have been viewed 23,542 times (updated hourly).

Jonathan Friedes 8.60
Sal Ficarrotta Jr 8.50
Mark Joy 8.00
Rebecca Saade 4.50

Manufacturer: Capresso Quality: 8
Where Bought: Can't recall Aesthetics 7
Similar Items Owned: Krupps, Delonghi
Bottom Line: Reliable, consistent machine with18 bar pressure. Produces great shots and crema at a very low price considering its perfromance.

Price vs. capabilities is very good
18 Bar pump pressure
Fast heat/recovery time
Excellent/consistent crema
Seems to hold up well despite other reviewer hints of inferior materials
Beginner's machine that delivers rich flavor extraction
Cost vs value is hard to beat

Possible to choke sieve (portafilter) with very fine espresso grinds
No parts ordering support - repair by unit's return only.
Not publicly recognized as a "real" espresso machine within the camp

I've had my EspressoPro now for 5 or 6 years. I paid $200 for it new.

This machine's pump is rated @18 bar of pressure. That is very good - especially for the comparitively low selling price.  It produces very good and consistent double shots. (Do some people really make singles)?

It generates very good crema.  I actually liked the whole frothing set up - but I eventually put them all away since changing over to use canned whipped cream in place of milk for all my capaucinos (seriously - try it b4 you laugh).

It heats and recovers very fast - closer to seconds rather than minutes.  The H2O reservoir is large and removable. Cleaning is easy. Nothing has broken so far - but i've disassembled mine to lube the rotary switch mechanism once (and other times for rare "extensive" cleaning).

My only disappointments stem from the portafilter sieve getting "choked" - when I grind fine enough to reach my ultimate in achieved flavor.

I designed a simple work-around, which works excellent but some people freak when I tell them about it.

I flip the basket/sieve over and use it as a template.  Placing it firmly on a standard paper coffee filter, I trace its mouth diameter with a small Exacto knife.  In doing this,  I cut out multiple round "portafilter filters" (on a magazine backing so I don't ruin the table surface underneath) that stop the machine from being choked (and create the secret brew).

To use them, I press a filter into the bottom of the sieve, fill up the sieve with my finest grind, tamp it down good and level it off.

Install it as usual and switch on the machine.   Then "presto"...PERFECT espresso every time (choke -free).

I tried to get Capresso customer service interested in the idea of acknowledging my hack and perhaps considering offering pre-cut round filters. They were not the least bit interested.

What's worse is they will not sell you any parts for their machines. They require return of the entire unit for ANY issues.

Glad mine has not given me any problems that I couldn't solve myself.

I am considering upgrading to the Gaggia Classic, but the ole' EspressoPro has served me well.

It was a long time ago. Purchased online without a hitch. Sorry - I have the receipt filed, but don't recall the vendor off-hand.

Posted: July 27, 2009, 8:06am
Don't suffer bad espresso
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.182244062424)