Cuisinart EM-100 - Charles Mitchell's Review
Posted: November 12, 2012, 1:42pm
Cuisinart EM-100

Arrow The Cuisinart EM-100 has 7 Reviews
Arrow The Cuisinart EM-100 has been rated 5.20 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since January 29, 2011.
Arrow Cuisinart EM-100 reviews have been viewed 32,634 times (updated hourly).

Gabriel Takacs 5.00
Alan Bolitho 2.00
S. Sheard 0.00
Alexie Green 0.00
Carly Vollet 0.00

Manufacturer: Cuisinart Quality: 0
Where Bought: Amazon Aesthetics 7
Bottom Line: Failed quickly and Cuisinart offers no service or internal parts once out of warranty.  Buy something else!

Works with Starbucks espresso pods

Broke after one day - won't heat

I bought the Cuisinart EM-100 on a black Friday sale and put it away when received because we were remodeling out kitchen.  Six months later when the kitchen was finished I couldn't find it.  So, cleaning out the garage years later I found it still sealed in its box.  I pulled it out of the box and set it up in the kitchen.  I made a few espressos without problems and learned it worked fine with our coffee grinder.  Unfortunately the next day when I hit the power switch the red light indicating the thermoblock is warming up did not come on.  I waited a few minutes and tried to make an espresso.  It was cold.  Since I've learned to trick the machine in to heating by putting a cup under the steam wand and setting the unit on steam.  It jets about an ounce of water into the cup and the red light comes on!  About a minute later it is hot enough to make an espresso.  I've tolerated this for about six months and have grown tired of complaints that the jetting water from the steam wand wakes the house up in the morning.  I'm hoping to replace it this Christmas.

By the way, I called Cuisinart and was told while my machine sat hidden away in the garage its warranty had expired.  My bargain price was because the machine was refurbished.  They had no sympathy for the fact it was barely used before breaking.  I asked if service was available for a price.  The answer is no.  I asked if a service manual was available.  The answer was no.  So, I think I will never buy anything Cuisinart makes again.  They don't stand behind their products.

Before I toss it in the trash, I'll try to tear it apart and find what failed.  My guess it's one of those thermal trip devices that protect machines from catching on fire if they get too hot.  I have searched the web for a schematic or service information with no luck.  If anyone has the information I'd appreciate it if you would let me know by responding to my review.

So, in short - buy something else!

Easy - I'm an Amazon Prime customer

Posted: November 12, 2012, 1:42pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.201823949814)