Delonghi EC 155 - Jack Otter's Review
Posted: February 7, 2008, 10:59am
Delonghi EC 155 Espresso

Arrow The Delonghi EC 155 has 10 Reviews
Arrow The Delonghi EC 155 has been rated 6.34 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since October 23, 2007.
Arrow Delonghi EC 155 reviews have been viewed 88,488 times (updated hourly).

Jack Otter 7.66

Previous Review
Manufacturer: Delonghi (Made in China) Quality: 5
Where Bought: Amazon Aesthetics 6
Similar Items Owned: none
Bottom Line: This is a good starter machine at an excellent price. Just remember- you can't have all the bells and wistles for under a c-note.

Easy to use
Heats up quickly
Steams decently well once you get used to its quirks
ESE pod compatible

Non-standard portafilter size
LOTS of plastic- cheaply built
Not enough cup clearance
Steam wand too short and clunky

This is my first espresso machine. Prior to this, I was using an Aeropress to make espresso-like beverages.

In six weeks of usage, I have learned to make a pretty decent shot- better than Starbucks anyway. It is fairly forgiving when it comes to grind consistency, but my new Kitchen Aid Pro Line grinder has improved shot quality in the last few weeks. I have also found that removing the screwed on piece on the bottom of the filter basket allows for better crema production.  My wife has also taken a liking to the machine and frequently turns out decent lattes using ESE pods instead of fresh roasted and fresh ground coffee. All in all, this is proving to be a good first machine and is teaching us a great deal about espresso.

The EC155 does have some major flaws. The portafilter size is not close to standard so you cannot swap out the pressurized version for a traditional model. The entire machine is simply too short. The steaming wand is at an awkward position. It works well once you get used to the angle at which you hold the pitcher, but it is a pain in the butt. Also, you cannot get anything larger than an espresso cup or a shot glass under the spout- so forget about crema coffee or pulling shots directly into your latte mug.

At some point down the road, I'm sure I will get tired of the flaws in this machine and I will look to upgrade.  That said, I would gladly buy one as a gift for another noob and I would even buy myself another one if I was in need and if cash was tight. It ain't close to perfect, but it gets the job done.

My wife bought it for me for Christmas, so I couldn't tell you how the transaction went. That said, I've never had a bad transaction with Amazon.

The machine is still chugging along- although it sometimes leaks a little through the steam wand, especially when making several drinks in a row.  It also takes slightly longer to warm-up and recovery than when it was new. Every month or so, I find myself waiting an extra 5-10 seconds for that green light to glow.  This isn't a big deal now, but in a few more months, it could be. I guess at less than $100, I shouldn't expect too much durability.

On the upside, in playing around with the filter basket assembly, I can sometimes get a more authentic tasting and darker-colored crema, but this is a trial-and-error filled affair which must be adjusted with every new batch of beans.

All in all, I still think the EC155 is a considerable bargain and a great entry level machine, but when it eventually dies, I hope to upgrade to something beefier with a commercial-style portafilter.

Previous Review
Posted: February 7, 2008, 10:59am
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (1.68080711365)