Delonghi EC 155 - Karen Pederson's Review
Posted: April 10, 2009, 1:11pm
Delonghi EC 155 Espresso

Arrow The Delonghi EC 155 has 10 Reviews
Arrow The Delonghi EC 155 has been rated 6.34 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since October 23, 2007.
Arrow Delonghi EC 155 reviews have been viewed 92,723 times (updated hourly).

Jack Otter 7.66
Dan Healy 6.67
Karen Pederson 6.00
Jill Hampton 4.00
Denis DuBois 2.50

Manufacturer: Delonghi (Made in China) Quality: 8
Where Bought: Macy's Aesthetics 9
Writer's Expertise: Just starting Would Buy Again: Yes
Bottom Line: You'd be hard pressed to find a better barista substitute for your buck.

Easy to learn

Steamer moderately powerful
A bit noisy
Built-in, not stand-alone tamper
Not all accessories included

This is my first espresso machine. I didn't want to spend a lot of money -- it's supposed to save me money in the long run -- but I feared on my budget I'd end up with a substandard latte, not suitable for drinking. This Delonghi machine exceeded my expectations! I was pleasantly surprised by the quality drinks I was able to produce on only my second or third try. The manual provides thorough, illustrated step-by-step instructions, perfect for first-timers. After just one month, I feel I've perfected my favorite morning concoction (vanilla double lattes), and I'm ready to start learning latte art.

Because I've not invested in a grinder, I took the advice of another coffee geek that owns this model, and used Illy espresso grind. Good call. I have not tried the ESE pods. If you are wanting to use the pods, I'd first make sure the ESE pods are widely available in your area.

I do wish it had come with more accessories. A 12-ounce frothing pitcher is recommended for this model, but I couldn't find anything smaller than a 20-ounce pitcher. I bought a Kreps 20-ounce pitcher at Bed Bath and Beyond, as it was wide and squat, short enough to fit this small machine. I also had to purchase espresso cups (it doesn't come with a shot glass). While you are picking these items up, you might want to get small kitchen towels to wipe down the machine after each use.

I will be interested to see how it stands up over time. I am most concerned about the water tank valve. You have to remove the water tank to completely empty the standing water, and I wonder whether the valve will continue to hold its seal after months of repeat use.

My purchase began with the receipt of a Macy's gift card, so I was limited to the machines they carried. The sales clerk was friendly, but she admitted she didn't know much about espresso machines. So I took down the model numbers of the three least expensive machines - the Krups Steam Espresso Machine ($60), this Delonghi EC 155 ($100), and the Breville Cafe Modena ($200). After reading reviews here and on other sites, I became conviced that the best value was the Delonghi.

Posted: April 10, 2009, 1:11pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.185630083084)