Delonghi EC 155 - Bob Pasternak's Review
Posted: January 15, 2011, 12:21am
Delonghi EC 155 Espresso

Arrow The Delonghi EC 155 has 10 Reviews
Arrow The Delonghi EC 155 has been rated 6.34 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since October 23, 2007.
Arrow Delonghi EC 155 reviews have been viewed 92,763 times (updated hourly).

Jack Otter 7.66
Dan Healy 6.67
Karen Pederson 6.00
Jill Hampton 4.00
Denis DuBois 2.50

Manufacturer: Delonghi (Made in China) Quality: 3
Where Bought: Amazon Aesthetics 7
Writer's Expertise: I like coffee Would Buy Again: No
Bottom Line: You can only be happy with this machine if the bad tasting espresso is lost in milk.

Low price.
Pretty Crema

Espresso is a little watery, simple in flavor, a little bitter.
I think all good tasting espresso has crema, but not all espresso with crema tastes good.
Milk Frothing wand is too short.  It won't reach into the bottom third of a coffee mug to froth milk.

I bought this machine to make espresso only.  I was hoping for espresso equal to that produced by automated machines at Starbucks or Panera Bakery.  I even bought the same beans from Starbucks that they used in their espresso maker.
But no, this machine doesn't come close.  I have a Capresso Infinity Burr grinder, so I tried all grinds from fine to coarse.  This machine
can't handle a really fine grind.  If the grind is too fine no water is comes through at all.  I also tried different tamping pressures.
I tried removing the pressure valve from the pressurized portafilter.  That didn't seem to make much of a difference.
So now my question is, what type of machine do I need to buy to equal Starbucks, or Panera?
Can this machine do it, with a more experienced operator.
Will a Gaggia Classic do it ($400).  Will a Rancilio Silvia do it ($650)?
I believe that the Panera Bakery has a Fanke machine, do I need to buy one of those ($7000 new)?

I bought from Amazon.  The price was excellent.  I'm sending the machine back for a full refund and free shipping.
No complaints here.

Posted: January 15, 2011, 12:21am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.194432973862)