Delonghi Magnifica - Tony Jones's Review
Posted: July 4, 2007, 3:21pm
DeLonghi Magnifica Original

Arrow The Delonghi Magnifica has 18 Reviews
Arrow The Delonghi Magnifica has been rated 8.58 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since April 5, 2006.
Arrow Delonghi Magnifica reviews have been viewed 202,733 times (updated hourly).

Dave Boingo 10.00

Where Bought: electricshopping.com Aesthetics 8
Owned for: 2 weeks Overall 9
Writer's Expertise: Just starting Would Buy Again: Yes
Similar Items Owned: Bialetti Stove Top
Bottom Line: Easy to setup make fine coffee very quickly. Easy to clean & machine attractive enough. Good price too - what's not to like? [3200 model]

Very fast from switching on to pouring coffee.
Adjustable height of pouring spouts.
Easy to learn initially & plenty of adjustment possible as you improve.
Easy to clean.
Oh, and makes great espresso.

Sometimes, when I switch it on, it switches off immediately.
Err, I think that's it really. Anything too negative would miss the point of the thing.

So I've had a Bialetti stove top for about three years and the thing has been great. But. It's a faff to run in the morning (with a gas hob you've got to balance it precariously), grind the beans and cleaning and that.
So I decided to treat myself after some eBay trading and initially looked at the Gaggia capsule system, but went off it for the high cost (25p per shot) & environmental concerns (non-recyclable plastic and no coffee grounds for the plants & compost).
I then looked at the Gaggia Compact but the DeLongi reviews on here were more enthusiastic & it was 150 cheaper so thanks Geeks!

Initial setup was easy - just read through the manual. I have the basic, non-digital 3200 machine and dial in a quantity around 11 o'clock & strength about 2 o'clock. This fills my cup in about 24 seconds and I run it a bit longer into an Americano. Grinder on 2 at the mo, may drop it back to 3.
Results excellent with good taste, texture & crema.
The option to bypass the grinder is useful for de-caff & at least a third of it's use is this way.

Can't comment on the wand as I don't use milk much but will learn soon.

Cleanup is every six or eight shots and just a dust round inside, remove the grinds, top up the water. I have once removed the infuser and this is easy too.
To be honest, the whole thing is almost too easy! Compare this to grinding, decanting, tamping, "temp surfing" and then PROPER cleanup. I have maybe two or three shots a day, the missus may have one, and we'll have a de-caff too, all day. Who are these people doing the home-barista thing? This machine is great for someone who wants decent coffee but has two kids (6 & 3) to get out of the door by 8.45.

You've not heard of electricshopping.com (UK only?) and neither had I but they were excellent. Good price (340 incl delivery & 2 towards carbon offset) and speedy fuss-free delivery.

And after 3 months, I'm still very pleased. An "espresso blend" gives a great result, and 1kg of Lavassa beans picked up in Italy for E9 went down well too.
But speaking of Italy, I was shocked to find how strong & short they make their espressos. I have now reduced the quantity and increased the "absorption"  for espressos, and add 4cm of hot water ot the cup if I want an Americano.
It's needed much less cleaning than I imagined too.

Still working very well, very pleased.
Feel guilty that I sometimes get Starbucks Beans rather than my local shop's (Mecca in Aberystwyth) but they do work very well.

Posted: July 4, 2007, 3:21pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.199975967407)