Delonghi Espresso Machines - Others - Daniel Marsalone's Review
Posted: July 12, 2001, 6:05am
Delonghi Espresso Machines - Others

Arrow The Delonghi Espresso Machines - Others has 14 Reviews
Arrow The Delonghi Espresso Machines - Others has been rated 5.70 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Delonghi Espresso Machines - Others reviews have been viewed 109,849 times (updated hourly).

Steve Dankert 6.83

Product Reviewed: DeLonghi BAR29 Cafe Venezia
Manufacturer: Delonghi Quality: 2
Where Bought: Aesthetics 6
Writer's Expertise: Aficionado Would Buy Again: n/a
Bottom Line: The BAR29 is a good machine if you are on a budget and can find one cheap. Better coffee than the famed Krups Novo Compact.

Strong pump, good frothing capability, nice water gauge. Warms up fairly quickly.

Cheap brittle plastic case. Large footprint. Steam for frothing take a little while to build up.

When my Krups Novo Compact died, I needed a replacement machine quickly. I wanted to go for a big upgrade but needed time to do my research. So I checked out uBid and bought one rufurb‘ed for only $45 to tide me over while I did my espresso homework.

Initially, I was disappointed as my shots were not as good as the Krups Novo Compact (by the way the Braun KMM30 has been the companion grinder for both machines). After about a week or so, as if by magic, my shots were money. Nice crema and the shots were significantly better than my old Krups. I usually drink espresso but do make cappucinos for my girlfriend and I can say that the frothing is much better than the Krups. Really nice thick, sugar supporting froth.

Overall, I was surprisingly pleased by this machine. When I bought my Krups years ago I checked out the newsgroups and they all raved about the Novo Compact and sort of crapped on DeLonghi, so my expectations were really low for the BAR 29 but it turned out to house the Krups Novo Compact. The case on the DeLonghi is really cheap though, the plastic tabs and hinges are just waiting to be cracked off when one removes the drip tray or opens the glove compartment with a little too much zeal. Mine don‘t have to wait anymore, they are broken (I think that I‘ll try to repair the broken plastic with JB Weld). However, the portafilter and grouphead appear to be first rate quality. Nice and heavy chrome plated brass. Superior to the Krups gruppo.

The DeLonghi doesn‘t have the nice aesthetic design and durable resilient plastic of the Novo Compact but the DeLonghi makes a much better shot of espresso and can froth like a mother. If you are on a budget and looking for a sub $100 refurb don‘t overlook this gem (at full retail of $240msrp, I‘d definately look elsewhere though like the lower end Gaggias).

Posted: July 12, 2001, 6:05am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.20392203331)