Delonghi Espresso Machines - Others - Steve Dankert's Review
Posted: May 14, 2003, 10:00am
Delonghi Espresso Machines - Others

Arrow The Delonghi Espresso Machines - Others has 15 Reviews
Arrow The Delonghi Espresso Machines - Others has been rated 5.91 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Delonghi Espresso Machines - Others reviews have been viewed 112,388 times (updated hourly).

Pete Thompson 8.00

Product Reviewed: BAR 41
Manufacturer: Delonghi Quality: 1
Where Bought: Amazon Aesthetics 9
Writer's Expertise: Intermediate Would Buy Again: No
Bottom Line: I wouldn't recommend a Delonghi product to anyone.

The BAR 41 has an appealing design.  I found it easy to use and while it worked it delivered great results.

It only worked for 2 months of light use.  Getting service has been a nightmare.

UPDATE MAY 14th, 2003 - Yesterday I received my long awaited missing parts shipment so that after 3 months I could once again begin using my espresso machine. One problem, THEY SENT THE WRONG PARTS!!!! I called back today and was told I'd have to wait TWO MORE WEEKS! IS THIS A COMPANY YOU WANT TO DO BUSINESS WITH?

(Original Review)
My wife bought one of these for me at Christmas time. I had wanted a pump type espresso machine for a while and was very excited to get one. The BAR 41 worked great for about a month of once to twice per day use.
Then then problem began. After completing the brew cycle, water continued to leak from the boiler into the filter basket. This problem began as a small leak and grew into a continuous drip.
We contacted Delonghi and were instructed to take the machine to the local service center. Upon arrival, the service center refused to repair it. They claimed they were unable to get parts for this machine from Delonghi and would not repair it. We were forced to send the machine to the New Jersey repair facility. After three weeks of no contact from Delonghi, my wife called for an update. She was told that she had shipped the machine to the wrong location (despite sending it to the location printed in the service manual) and that it would take up to 8 more weeks to have it repaired.
A month later she called again for an update and was told that they could not fix our machine and offered to send a replacement. After two weeks we received a replacement BAR 42 machine with missing parts rendering it unusable. My frustrated wife called immediately and was told that by the Delonghi service representative the "we don't have any of these parts here" and that getting them might take a few more weeks.
The story goes on but I think this dialog is sufficient for you to see how deplorable the service provided by this company is. If you decide to buy one of these all I can say is that I hope it never breaks...

No problems.  Amazon is easy.

The replacement unit has the same problems as the original.

I still use this machine on average about twice a week.  The problem that affected the first one is also inherent to the replacement unit.  I have concluded it is just a poor design.  In the future I think I'll stick with a better brand.

Posted: May 14, 2003, 10:00am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.913011074066)