La Cimbali Domus - Michael Hauptman's Review
Posted: July 14, 2010, 11:45pm
La Cimbali Domus

Arrow The La Cimbali Domus has 6 Reviews
Arrow The La Cimbali Domus has been rated 8.37 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since June 27, 2002.
Arrow La Cimbali Domus reviews have been viewed 52,261 times (updated hourly).

Richard Killoh 10.00
T Sted 8.66
Colin Maxwell 5.33
Michael Hauptman 0.00
Marco Anglesio 0.00

Manufacturer: La Cimbali Quality: 8
Average Price: n/a Usability: 8
Where Bought: eBay Aesthetics 8
Bottom Line: Solid manual machine with unusual styling

Looks different than regular chrome machine - goes well with a white appliance kitchen
Very robust
Unpressurised PF
Easy to clean
Built in water softener

Rather basic - no pressure or temp gauges
Push button for steam instead of rotary knob
Takes a long time to heat up
Can be finicky, hard to consistently achieve really good shots
Uses different group to commercial Cimbalis- suspect other parts are non-commercial too

Mechanically the Domus is bullet proof.  I've purchased a 1998 build model that doesn't look like it had a  proper clean or descale ever.  After trying extensive soaking I eventually had to cut off the panarello wand.   But the seals were all good and after a good descale and backflush and screen clean the machine is putting out nice sweet water, no taint.  So it gets my vote for excellence in robustness.

I had been using a Breville Roma with an unpressurised filter and a Sunbeam conical grinder so my standards were fairly basic.  Stepping up to the Domus the first thing I really noticed was  the steam pressure for texturing was so much stronger and you can do some really nice microtexturing, once you take the panarello off.   My poison is the double expresso, and after practicing with a kilo of beans I reckon I can get a pretty good shot with OK creama.   It did take a lot of practice though.  I'd have to echo what another reviewer that the machine is finicky and ~15% of shots I'd call outstanding.

Tips I've found:
- let it heat up for 30 min
- Judge extraction by examining stream for blonde point rather than set timing

eBay - no worries

Posted: July 14, 2010, 11:45pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.185847043991)