Dualit Espresso Machines - All - X X's Review
Posted: January 24, 2006, 10:52am
Dualit Espresso Machines - All

Arrow The Dualit Espresso Machines - All has 1 Reviews
Arrow The Dualit Espresso Machines - All has been rated 8.20 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since August 1, 2005.
Arrow Dualit Espresso Machines - All reviews have been viewed 14,911 times (updated hourly).

Product Reviewed: Dualit espresso 889
Manufacturer: Dualit Quality: 8
Where Bought: House of Frasers (UK) Aesthetics 9
Writer's Expertise: Just starting Would Buy Again: Yes
Bottom Line: Decent product. Easy to refill water tank, nice look.

The first plus is how easy it is to refill the water tank; you can take it out without any mess whatsoever. I had a Gaggia evolution  before, and when you took out the water tank there were these two rubber hoses that would cheerfully start to leak little drops of water. Not cool. Also; the machine looks awesome (a big plus, in my book). You're getting a pretty good deal here, as apparently these machines are made by the same company which creates the Jura machines- the Dualit 889 looks exactly the same as the Jura Da Vinci. This product is no longer being made, but you can still google it and see that it is exactly the same.

No tamper - you have to tamp with the bottom of the supplied coffee scoop.

The model I had ran out of steam power very quickly when frothing - it only lasted about a minute and a half. The pannarello itself is okay, but not great. It's better than the Gaggia turbofrother (which is BAD), and if you had enough steam power I guess you could use it sufficiently. Because of lack of steam power, I had to preheat the milk in the microwave, then froth. If you're only frothing for one cup, I guess you'd be fine.

The Dualit brand might put some people of buying this. After all, a Brisish company known mostly for quality toasters making an espresso machine? Nah... However, as I mentioned before, the story's a bit more complex than that: the machine itself is actually made by the same company which produces Jura machines, a company which does have a good reputation for making quality, high-end espresso machines. Also, in the november 2000 issue of Which? magazine, the Dualit 889 came first when they did a comparison of about ten different espresso machines.

Some people might be put of by the fact that this isn't a boiler-based machine but a thermoblock machine. However, a lot of the high-end Jura machines are thermoblock as well,  so one shouldn't draw the conclusion too fast that 'thermoblock = bad' in this case. I didn't do any temperature tests, so I don't really now how stable the temperature was.

One comment I do have is that it is very important to get the grind right. I got good results with Illy pre-ground and Tesco pre-ground espresso, in both cases only if i tamped very lightly. Once I bought a grinder and started grinding myself, the results went downhill. I never got good results with coffee I ground myself - even with Illy. I don't know what caused this - could have been the grinder, could have been the espresso machine. This fact led me to eventually get rid of the machine. I do have fond memories of it, though, as it was easy to use, looked great, and did produce a couple of VERY nice cups of coffee (if only with pre-ground).

The one I have is different from the one that is pictured, though. Mine is the 889 model, which you can find on www.dualit.com

no comment

Posted: January 24, 2006, 10:52am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.16802406311)