Francis Francis X3 - Dave Aron's Review
Posted: October 17, 2003, 8:11am
Francis Francis X3

Arrow The Francis Francis X3 has 15 Reviews
Arrow The Francis Francis X3 has been rated 7.81 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Francis Francis X3 reviews have been viewed 88,743 times (updated hourly).

Richard Greenleaf 8.57
Brad Gom 8.50
Mats Grip 8.50
Paul Wood 8.00
Jimmy Oneschuk 7.66

Manufacturer: Francis! Francis! Quality: 3
Where Bought: Whole-latte-love (Ebay) Aesthetics 10
Writer's Expertise: Beginner Would Buy Again: Yes
Bottom Line: Looks good, peforms well nice first machine.

Looks great and performs as described in Mark Pince's review.

Shot glass and cups don't fit very well under grouphead.  Grouphead leaks a bit while machine is in use.

***Broke after 5 months of light use.

I bought this machine based in part on Mark Prince, September 6, 2003 review and in part becuse of the price.  This is my first foray into espresso machines and there is a lot to like about the FFX3.  The fit and finish of this machine is very nice.  I have the ghisa black which is kind of a black fleck stone.  The machine looks great in our contemporary kitchen.

The water gets hot fast and the noise level of the pump is not too terribly intrusive.  I have noticed that coffee leaks from the grouphead when pulling double shots.  This is somewhat bothersome, and I haven’t decided if it is because I am overfilling the portafilter or just the design of the machine. Unfortunately I only have a blade grinder at this time, so the quality of my espresso is suffering.  That said I actually still get decent mochas and there is still come crema in the shots that I pull.  The steam wand seems to do a nice job of making decent foam I like the little super frother design.

All in all for $200.  I am very pleased with this machine and hope to have it for many years to come.

Excellent - Bought it as an open box item from Wholelattelove on Ebay.  They did a nice job of packing and shipping on time.

So far so good.  The unit still looks great and is easy to clean after use.  Frothing attachment on steaming wand is makes getting the "perfect froth" simple of an amature like me.

Would like a bit more crema, but this is possibly to to a bad grinder.

Grouphead leaks a little if not on tight.

All - in all a good starter machine and a good value at less than $225.00.

***UPDATE 2/16/04***

I have lowered my rating on the machine.  Boiler stopped working this weekend after only 5 months of light weekend use.  I have noticed that many other people seem to have the same problem.  I called FF and their customer service was very helpful.  They are sending me prepaid UPS shipping invoice to send the machine in for service. However, this means no coffee for the next several weeks!

I really like this machine, but only time will tell if the internal build quality is a good as the fit and finish of the exterior.

Posted: October 17, 2003, 8:11am
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.186245918274)