Gaggia Baby - All - Daniel Spiegel's Review
Gaggia Baby Espresso Models
Arrow Amazon

Arrow The Gaggia Baby - All has 27 Reviews
Arrow The Gaggia Baby - All has been rated 7.17 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Gaggia Baby - All reviews have been viewed 190,642 times (updated hourly).

Nadav Caine 9.33
Patrick Sloane 9.20
Andrew King 8.50
Brad Franks 8.00
Jesse Robinson 7.11

Product Reviewed: Baby
Where Bought: Aabree/WholeLatteLove Aesthetics 6
Bottom Line: Best of the Cheap Espresso Machines—Not Great, Not Terrible

Inexpensive
Full-sized, high quality portafilter
Three-way solenoid allows backflushing
Super-easy reservoir access
Quick warm-up times
Reasonably quiet
Decent overall performance

Inconsistent boiler performance, has to heat-up mid-shot
Sometimes tricky seating the PF well
Poor steaming/hot water performance
Not much user adjustability
Cheap construction—that's obvious but I had to note it

I bought this at close-out pricing. It is one of the older-style Baby models, but to be honest, the new ones don't much get me excited. The sole purpose of this machine is to make reasonable espresso at work, and since I have a rather un-secure work environment, I wanted to have a machine that I would not cry over should it be stolen. For its intended purpose, then, the Baby is a winner. The Baby makes decent shots and was inexpensive. The black case is nicely subdued and hardly anyone takes a second look at it, probably thinking it is a generic Mr. Coffee drip machine. It is cheaply made, though. The plastic case does not inspire confidence when it twists as one is loading the portafilter. It is light, though, a good and a bad thing. It is also small.

The water reservoir is accessible from the top, something more expensive machines do not offer. It is reasonably quiet, and it heats up quickly. The internals are mostly the same as Gaggia's higher-end models, a main factor in my decision. Though the group is aluminum, the heater is a clever design and, though nothing on par with even a Rancilio, does a decent job. I let my Baby sit for at least twenty minutes to sink some heat into all the bits (including the PF), but brew temperature is a hit-or-miss affair. I try to run water through for a cleaning and, hopefully, can time things to where I start my shot right after the heating element turns off. That seems to work best for me. I tried pre-infusing but got mixed results. I tried several twists on drawing shots and have reverted to simply pushing the button. Convenient and probably what Gaggia intended. The third solenoid allows backflushing but does not do a very good job at stopping water flow after the shot is stopped. This is typical, though.

I no longer even try to use the Baby for hot water or steaming. The steam wand uses some silly contraption that, in my estimation, makes steaming more difficult. The owner's manual should not even mention drawing hot water: The machine essentially spits steam out all over the place, and that's your hot water, sir. That was the only real disappointment for me. I usually drink tea in the morning. The Baby is a cheap machine, but I would say it is a very good cheap machine. I would replace it with a better machine if I could find one for nearly the same price, but then I might get attached to that machine...

Aabree Coffee and Whole Latte Love are the same business, just Aabree deals more with seconds and closeout deals. I have dealt with them off and on for years and have never been disappointed with any aspect of their service. Then again, I usually knew exactly what I wanted beforehand.

Posted: August 30, 2008, 2:16pm
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.201591014862)