Gaggia Classic - Ed Gianni's Review
Posted: March 24, 2001, 1:25pm
Gaggia Classic Machine

Arrow The Gaggia Classic has 78 Reviews
Arrow The Gaggia Classic has been rated 8.03 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Gaggia Classic reviews have been viewed 638,001 times (updated hourly).

Daryl Cross 9.00
John Anderson 8.85
Patrick Sloane 8.00
Connor McClellan 8.00
Dan Pohl 8.00

Where Bought: EBAY Aesthetics 8
Similar Items Owned: none
Bottom Line: Great fun to use. Excellent results with practice. Sleek &  sexy looking.

Makes excellent tasting espresso with some practice
Frothing with bare wand produces great microbubbles after practice
Deep removable drip tray
Sleek polished nickel finish
easy to fill and clean
fast heat up
Only 8 inches wide
Small boiler means I can clear out stale water fast at the beginning of the day.

bare frothing wand could be a little longer

This machine has worked out very well for me, although I suffered through 3 1/2 months of wildly varying pour times until I switched from the Gaggia MM to the MDF grinder.  Now I can get pours in the 20-30 second range most of the time.  I get excellent crema. Sometimes I wonder if I'm sometimes getting too much :).   It is very easy to keep clean . Also, the eight inch width takes up less counter space than most other models.  I like the deep drip tray, especially because I can remove it and pour directly into one of those tall glass cups with a pedastal.  I can make great microfoam with the bare wand from 4 oz of milk in a 20 oz pitcher (instructions in Ken Davids Espresso book did the trick). It would be easier if the wand were about an inch longer.   The hot water dispenser allows me to make great Americanos as well.

I know some people are put off by the plastic parts and the aluminum boiler, but the plastic parts feel good to me and contrast well with the polished nickel finish for quite an elegant look.  And I like the boiler for its quick heating , fast recovery and the ability to quickly clear stale water from the boiler from the day before, just because of the small capacity.  I'm just careful to use the right cleaner on the aluminum boiler (Cleancaf).

My buying experience on Ebay was pretty uneventful.  I got the machine from Steve who works at Electra-Kraft.  He was very forthright and even sent me an extra power cord and wiring diagram because the machine didn't seem properly grounded.  It turned out that the wire polarity was reversed.  When I reversed them where they connected to the power cord, the grounding problem disappeared.

Posted: March 24, 2001, 1:25pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.183217048645)