Gaggia Classic - Ray Valiani's Review
Posted: November 7, 2009, 10:05am
Gaggia Classic Machine

Arrow The Gaggia Classic has 78 Reviews
Arrow The Gaggia Classic has been rated 8.03 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Gaggia Classic reviews have been viewed 646,067 times (updated hourly).

A C C 9.00
Daryl Cross 9.00
John Anderson 8.85
Peter Buchta 8.00
Dan Pohl 8.00

Where Bought: Costco Aesthetics 7
Writer's Expertise: I like coffee Would Buy Again: Yes
Similar Items Owned: N/A
Bottom Line: Great machine if it is PID'd.

Works well, great parts availablity. Easy to PID

8 degree temp change though a shot
Steaming milk is not the best but acceptable

Initially I purchased this unit,  because it was $200 less than a comparable Silvia. Additionally I liked the fact that it did not have dimensions that would dominate my kitchen. I PID'd this unit (auberins.com/), paired it with a Baratza Virtuiso grinder ($139 refirb at baratza.com) and have been extremely pleased with the shot quality and repeatability thus far. Now, it is difficult for me to have espresso out of my super automatic at work, because in comparison, the espresso there is just junk. The key is to experiment with various forgiving espresso blends, due to the 8 degree intra shot variance, and find one you like. It's unfortunate that someone did not create the pre-heating mod for this unit and sell it, because if they did, this would be the perfect unit.  From the stats I have seen for people that have done the pre-heating mod, they have been able to achieve a 3 degree variance through their shot. That would make the performance of this machine very much like the prosumer units which are huge in comparison. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase and would make the same choice again.

Great! The machine arrived quickly and undamaged.

Posted: November 7, 2009, 10:05am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.185911893845)