Gaggia Coffee - Peter Kubiaczyk's Review
Posted: August 1, 2011, 8:16am
Gaggia Coffee Espresso Machine

Arrow The Gaggia Coffee has 30 Reviews
Arrow The Gaggia Coffee has been rated 8.20 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Gaggia Coffee reviews have been viewed 200,952 times (updated hourly).

Russ Sahagian 9.50
Tim Eggers 9.00
Thomas Gauperaa 7.84
Antony Prince 7.80
John Bair 7.75

Where Bought: eBay Aesthetics 5
Similar Items Owned: Krupps pump
Bottom Line: Decent, no-frills starter.

Once dialed pulls a decent espresso. Good pressure, nice crema, decent frota even with a funny wand. Build solid.

No 3-way solenoid, smallish drip tray, funky frothing wand. Smallish boiler.

What I have is re-badged stripped down version going by Proteo Romanza moniker. Even with a limited experience I'm able to pull better espresso than neighbourhood shops. Dialing it in was a chore given that I have Capresso Infinity grinder, so there you go - a cheap set, all together with parts I bought within $100. Upon receiving it I had to buy a steam knob, then I descaled it, cleaned, replaced a faulty valve, and spend a few days dialing the grinder in. As I don't have a set favourite yet I need to adjust my grinding every time I get new coffee, but it is enjoyable experience despite being totally wired for a day.
Lack of 3-way solenoid is a hindrance as you cannot pull a second shot without waiting. The other choice is spraying your counter top with wet grinds. This machine sees use mainly on weekends, two espresso for me and a cappa for my wife, were it quieter I could use a shot every morning, bu8t it is kinda noisy, and grinding fresh coffee is even noisier... Considering that my better half loves her beauty sleep I'd rather restrain myself.
Sure I dream of a decent dual boiler machine, but with my wife happy with the results so far I would be hard pressed to justify the expense of new machine and better grinder.

As usual eBay goes... easy payment, decent delivery. You get what you pay for.

Posted: August 1, 2011, 8:16am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.197352170944)