Gaggia Espresso - Carol Lee's Review
Posted: February 24, 2003, 3:10pm
Gaggia Espresso

Arrow The Gaggia Espresso has 33 Reviews
Arrow The Gaggia Espresso has been rated 7.67 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Gaggia Espresso reviews have been viewed 169,849 times (updated hourly).

John Schmidt 8.56
Brad C. 8.45
Shawn Duden 8.00
Vils M. DiSanto 7.88
Stephen Bozler 7.87

Where Bought: Macy's Aesthetics 5
Writer's Expertise: Aficionado Would Buy Again: Yes
Similar Items Owned: DeLongi espresso machine
Bottom Line: All in all, I highly recommend this machine.

This unit offers a heavy porta-filter, a fast heating cycle, good frother for microfoam, and easy clean-up.

The pump is very loud (as most units are in this price range) and the housing unit is not as attractive as I would like.

After 3 years of use, I find the Gaggia Espresso produced quality espresso with nice crema each time. Only after 3 years did the crema diminish a bit and water began leaking from the portafilter. Not realizing that the group gasket should, at least, be replaced after 2 years of use to keep the pressure constant, I began researching the purchase of other machines only to find that the Gaggia was the best for the price range. I have since ordered a new group gasket (easy to replace) and now have my thick crema on hot espresso shots!  I have gone through 2 other machines (Mr. Coffee & DeLongi) and this one has held up the best by far. To get a better machine, perhaps my next one will have to be a La Cimbali Liberty or maybe a Saeco Magic Deluxe...

note: Before I replaced the gasket, the temperature was only reaching 160 degrees, probably due to water leaking over the porta-filter and into the cup. To remedy that situation, I turned on the steamer button until the ready light turned on, then turned it off before pulling the shot. The temperature was 200 degrees when done by using this method.

I bought the Gaggia at Macy's in La Jolla... nice store :)

Posted: February 24, 2003, 3:10pm
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.192116975784)