Gaggia Espresso - Nigel Robinson's Review
Posted: June 17, 2002, 12:24pm
Gaggia Espresso

Arrow The Gaggia Espresso has 33 Reviews
Arrow The Gaggia Espresso has been rated 7.67 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Gaggia Espresso reviews have been viewed 170,620 times (updated hourly).

John Schmidt 8.56
Brad C. 8.45
Shawn Duden 8.00
Vils M. DiSanto 7.88
Stephen Bozler 7.87

Where Bought: Garage sale Aesthetics 1
Similar Items Owned: Rossi RR45 grinder
Bottom Line: A good way to experience real espresso, but probably not the last machine you'll buy.

Cheap and cheery -- makes legitimate espresso much of the time. Great machine to gingerly try the waters with.

Plastic-y; flimsy; drip tray too small; reservoir too small; noisy in a grating kind of way.

As a good scavenger, I was excited to find a "real" espresso machine for 30 bucks. In it's relatively short time with me, it taught me both that I want good espresso as a regular thing, and that I have the temperment to have my countertop covered in coffee grounds most of the time.

Bringing up this baby hasn't been incredibly easy, though.

First, the machine didn't actually heat up when I got it home. After some troubleshooting and blah-blah with a service guy, I found that it was an incredibly cheap thermal cutoff fuse that had blown. (Note, these don't look like I'd expect fuses to look. They look more like resistors.)

Second, my naivete about grinding: I didn't realize that I needed a good grinder. Don't leave the cost of one of these out of your plans.

Generally speaking, I can coax good shots about 1 in 10; drinkable shots 6 in 10; and dump-down-the-sink shots the other 3 in 10. A good proportion of the dump-shots are probably the first ones pulled, which might be related to me being impatient first thing in the morning.

Regrettably, the machine is starting to leak more and more (despite a new gasket), so it's out the door as soon as my new machine arrives. (Or maybe it'll be shelved until I can rebuild it in the image of this machine: <http://www.cbindustries.ch/louis.htm>).

Buying used is rewarding, but hard sometimes. If you're buying a used machine, know what parts should come with it. Generally, they're not expensive to replace, but it's just more bother.

Posted: June 17, 2002, 12:24pm
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.199606895447)