Gaggia Carezza - Jen Bolyard's Review
Posted: March 7, 2008, 6:08pm
Gaggia Carezza Espresso Machine

Arrow The Gaggia Carezza has 27 Reviews
Arrow The Gaggia Carezza has been rated 7.51 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since November 2, 2003.
Arrow Gaggia Carezza reviews have been viewed 162,219 times (updated hourly).

Dr. Robert Case 8.89
Greg Kaan 8.17
Brent L 8.00
Matthew Hall 8.00
Robert Seidlitz 8.00

Where Bought: Ebay Aesthetics 7
Writer's Expertise: Just starting Would Buy Again: Yes
Similar Items Owned: Gaggia 16002
Bottom Line: Even a newbie can create decent espresso with this machine!

Crema on the first try!

The steaming wand is awkward. Hate the drip tray.

I am an obvious newbie, who's experience with coffee doesn't go much beyond Folgers and my Mr. Coffee. Our small town HAD an espresso shop, and she did pretty good lattes. Unfortunately, small town wasn't enough business to make much money. I had to have espresso, and I wanted something good. (We had tried one of those cheap steam driven machines, and knew that was a waste of time). After discovering this wonderful site and reading everything I could find about espresso, I decided to buy the gaggia.

I preheated the portafilter by running an empty shot through it and then put in mediocre beans (roasted by starbucks, sold at costco) I had ground myself, tamped them down, and inserted the portafilter in the machine. Time for the moment of truth. Hit the brew button and wonders beyond belief, I got rich colored espresso turning to crema. The espresso Gods had blessed me! I screwed up the milk frothing thing, but that was mostly due to operator error. (About a 25 second shot and a nice puck when done)

I have repeated the results, and come to the conclusion that most coffee idiots should get good results with the Gaggia. I love it. I have improved my milk frothing skills and can achieve pretty good microfoam. I am sure my epsresso would improve with better beans.

I have to sat the ergonomics wise, it isn't the best. The steam wand is short and close to the machine. Even my cheapy steam driven espresso machine was easier to use frothing milk, even thought it wasn't better. ;) The drip tray seems to be a nuisance. I played around with the Gaggia 16002 and I felt that it was slightly better with useful design. The curves might be prettier than the blocky the older gaggias, but I think they would have been easier to use. The other thing I noticed is that the portafilter of the carezza has plastic pour spouts, while the older ones were pure metal.

I would have bought new from a vendor, but the Gaggias are on backorder. Couldn't wait until April. Found a sweet deal on ebay. Seller was great. BUT this was the second machine I bought on ebay. The first gaggia was sent in winter without the boiler drained. It froze and cracked the boiler during shipment!

Posted: March 7, 2008, 6:08pm
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.414597034454)