Isomac Venus - Dave LaFollette's Review
Posted: January 22, 2004, 2:17pm
Isomac Venus

Arrow The Isomac Venus has 15 Reviews
Arrow The Isomac Venus has been rated 8.63 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since May 13, 2003.
Arrow Isomac Venus reviews have been viewed 126,395 times (updated hourly).

Noah K 10.00
Scott Mc 7.93
Stephen Bozler 7.87
Dave LaFollette 7.66
Dezco Inc 7.00

Where Bought: 1st-Line Aesthetics 9
Similar Items Owned: Saeco Classico SS
Bottom Line: This is a superb machine in this price range.

The solid and beautiful polished stainless steel housing is a real plus.
The function lights and switches are pro grade.
The pressure gauge is more than just eye candy (more on that later).
The water reservoir is acceptably large.
The boiler is large and heat up is fast.
The portafilter is high grade and holds heat well.
You don't need to beat the portafilter on anything to remove the puck.
The drip tray is large and made of stainless steel.
Steaming is strong, but not in HX machine range.
Results are consistent and repeatable.
It consistently makes great espresso, the most important point.

There is no auto-fill for the boiler.
There is no false pressure release valve.
The knob and wand for steaming are both on the right hand side.
The steam control knob doesn't have a mechanical stop and will keep turning.

This is a real winner. In its price range, there is no other machine that I would buy. While I have never used a Sylvia, from what I have read this is most likely a better machine. The most important point is that it makes great espresso and does it consistently.

The stainless steel housing is beautiful and impressive. The fixtures, including the portafilter, are pro class. You can tell at a glance what is going on by the indicator lights and pressure gauge. The switches are solid and practical. everything is solid and well made.

It has a pressure gauge. This is not so important on a daily basis, but it comes in handy for adjusting the pressure range. My machine would always show a pressure of 13 bar during a pour. 9 to 10 bar is optimal. Since the grind and tamp produced excellent shots, the culprit must have been the pressure release setting. This setting tells the pressure valve when to release excess pressure into the water reservoir. Fortunately this is adjustable on the Venus. Two screws hold the main compartment cover on the machine. Remove this cover and the pressure adjustment nut is right on top. A few turns of the wrench during a pour, while a friend watched the gauge, and the ideal of 9.5 bar was set. Now my shots have less bitterness (you always have some with espresso), and there is far less sour taste. I can really taste the roast. The espresso tastes more like the aroma than before. This is a big selling point for me, a machine that can be easily adjusted to optimal performance. Try to do this without a pressure gauge! Without a pressure gauge you don't have a clue as to how much pressure your machine is putting out to begin with.

Steaming milk into microfoam is a no-brainer with Venus. The two hole wand tip does a great job. It's the tip that folks with Isomac Teas are paying extra to get. It's removable for cleaning, too.  The pressure is fine. It won't be as strong as with an Oscar or some other HX machine, but in this category of machine it is fine. Again, easy, consistently great results. Keep in mind that I am never in a hurry to make my drinks and rarely need to make more than two doubles in a row. If you do, perhaps an HX machine would be a better, but more expensive, choice for you.

But, like I said, the most important point is the espresso. Venus does it right. It doesn't take long to heat up, especially if you steam the milk first.  I have not found it necessary to temperature surf the Venus. The portafilter holds the heat well. The Guinness effect, mouse tails, tiger flecking, and great taste are my consistent results. I have never tasted better than I make on my Venus, especially now that the pressure release valve has been adjusted.

Are there any points against Venus? Well, yes, sort of. The steam control knob and the wand are both on the right side of the machine. I have compensated by learning to steam milk left handed. Now I have no complaint at all with it. One thing that is a bit disconcerting at first is that the steam control knob doesn't have a mechanical stop. It will keep turning and turning. It does get harder to turn after about two and a half revolutions and I stop when I feel that increase in resistance. Problem solved for me. But there are a couple of omissions that would have made Venus the perfect machine for me. There is no auto-fill for the boiler. You don't usually get that with machines in this class, but it sure would be great to have it. A false pressure relief valve would complete the package for me. Again, this is usually found only in more expensive machines. Lets put it this way, as much as I love my Venus, I would have paid another $100.00 to have these extra two features. But I'm still a very happy camper.

One last thing. Venus is easy to clean and maintain. The portafilter only requires a quick shake over the sink and the puck always falls out easily. No pounding needed. The stainless steel drip tray is huge, so it seldom needs emptying for me. When it does, it's easy to remove and replace. The little grate over the portafilter holder is easy to remove, clean, and replace, too. Windex removes any errant fingerprints from the beautiful polished stainless steel housing.

As you might have surmised, I am totally happy with my Venus. With the addition of boiler auto-fill and false pressure release it would probably be the perfect machine for me. Will I ever get the dreaded upgrade fever again? No doubt. But right now the only machines that I would trade Venus for cost more than double or triple her price. I guess that pretty much sums up my review of my Venus, hoping that I don't sound too much like a commercial for Isomac.

If you have any questions pertaining to the Isomac Venus, feel free to email me. I will be glad to try to answer them.

Buying from 1st-Line was easy, fast, and economical. They really seem to want to make buying a positive experience. They double boxed the machine and shipped it fast. This is an excellent company that really strives to please their customers. They have certainly earned my continued business.

Posted: January 22, 2004, 2:17pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.198269128799)