Krups Espresso - Older Models - Felipe DeGuzman's Review
Posted: August 2, 2005, 8:10pm
Krups Espresso Machines - Older Models

Arrow The Krups Espresso - Older Models has 26 Reviews
Arrow The Krups Espresso - Older Models has been rated 7.42 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Krups Espresso - Older Models reviews have been viewed 150,350 times (updated hourly).

Mike Foster 9.00
Eric D 7.83
Peter Horrell 7.75
Anthony Cravero 7.50
Charles Bruno 6.83

Product Reviewed: Cafe Centro Time (Dual)
Manufacturer: Krups Quality: 8
Where Bought: Gift Aesthetics 8
Bottom Line: Two machines in one- great for my built-in home coffee bar. Probably not for pro-use, btu great for we weekend home baristi

Two machines in one- great for my built-in home coffee bar
Timer works great for drip- especially useful when trying not to wake sleeping family
I get good crema almost every time, and I've found the trick for getting microfoam

1. I find I need to "waste one" with the steamer sometimes. What I mean is sometimes the frother/steam will actually drizzle water for a couple seconds before pumping steam. This has watered down my froth a few times, but I've learned to bleed off a little water before starting my froth.

nozzle on hte frothing wand gets boogered up if you don't maintain it every time you use it

Short frothing wand makes it tricky to foam- buy a small frothing pitcher!!

This is the Dual espresso/drip combo unit with timer for the drip. I have used it for Drip pretty much every weekday for seven years and use the espresso/frother about 3 or 4 times a month (using more now that I started listening to CG Podcast)

I've been winging it mostly by reading the manual and cruising newsgroups until I stumbled onto Podcasting via iTunes. I've had a few challenges with this unit and wanted to share some of its undocumented "features":

2. I keep a wet washcloth handle to wipe down the frothing wand after every session. Also, I like to use the hot water feature to drain the frothing wand after every use. occasionally i need to remove the nozzle end as it gets clogged. (BTW the handle of the included coffee scoop serves as a nozzle removal tool!!! took me three years before I realized that)

3. The little disc above the portafilter needs cleaning about every 20 or so shots. You need a screwdriver to remove it. I found that the portafilter would leak if you don't keep this stuff clean inside and out.

4.  Others have mentioned that the drip decanter leaks if you pour too fast. Your guests will always spill some coffee out of this thing.

5. with the drip rate, i find I get a much better pot of coffee with a permenant gold filter (I think I have a Mellita). I end up wasting the las tounce of coffee in the pot, but it is worth it.

All in all, I'm very happy with this machine. I can get microfoam that hangs like merrigue on my spoon and is almost as sweet as whipped cream. I get a "money" shot of espresso about once in every 25 or 30 shots. I'm still experimenting with beans and grind, and I have yet to make a "dream" shot- I had my first dream shot in Italy about 15 years ago when I was in the Army. I have yet to find replicate that experience.

I actually use  the timer feature- I know letting coffee sit in the machine overnight isn't optimal, but neither is waking my wife and babies with the sound of my burr grinder in the morning.

Received as gift

Posted: August 2, 2005, 8:10pm
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.185552120209)