La Pavoni Europiccola - Ray Mo's Review
Posted: June 5, 2007, 6:07am
La Pavoni Europiccola

Arrow The La Pavoni Europiccola has 57 Reviews
Arrow The La Pavoni Europiccola has been rated 7.98 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow La Pavoni Europiccola reviews have been viewed 333,745 times (updated hourly).

Theron Georges 9.67
Antonio Salles 9.50
Gino Magnotta 9.45
Gail McNeill 8.50
Marc Tischler 8.50

Manufacturer: Pavoni Quality: 10
Where Bought: Amazon Aesthetics 10
Similar Items Owned: Bunn B-10B
Bottom Line: A very high quality espresso machine that is great for novices and and experienced alike.

Beautiful machine, very high quality construction, durable, should last a lifetime with proper care.

Learning curve, and consistency.

This is my first foray into the world of espresso.  I did my research (mostly perusing coffeegeek) and decided I wanted a lever machine.  After deciding this I chose the La Pavoni based upon the number of positive reviews.  This machine isn't cheap in price, but I do believe that I couldn't have made a better purchase.

If you are in the market for an espresso machine, and your budget can handle the price, then this is the best way to go.  Sure you  can spend more money and get a very nice automatic, or even a few dollars less and get the La Pavoni Semi-Automatic machine(Napolitana PA-1200), but you wouldn't get the experience of manually pulling your own shots.

For the details.  This machine comes with a very nice CD Instruction Manual which guides you through setting it up and how to begin brewing espresso.  It also includes the frothing wand, tamper and a measuring scoop.  Make sure you follow the directions.

My next caveat is to take your time.  With this machine you need to learn about the grind and the tamp in order to produce the right consistency of "crema".  I am currently using a Zassenhaus hand grinder and it produces a very consistent espresso grind.  I just purchased a Gaggia MDF, and when it arrives I'll have to determine which setting is best for this machine.

As far as tamping goes, make sure you you don't overfill the portafilter.  Use the proper amount of level scoops using the provided scooper.  I purchased a heavier tamper, but it wasn't necessary.  Make sure you tamp the grinds just below the rim of the filter.  About 1/8" should do it.  Also when the machine is heating up, place the filter in position with the coffee and let the machine warm them up.  This seem to produce a better crema.  A good shot will take about 23 seconds to pull.  I haven't tried to make cappucino, but I will try soon.

I purchased it through Amazon.  They had the best price at the time and free shipping.

Posted: June 5, 2007, 6:07am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.197338104248)