Mr Coffee Espresso (All) - Rene Lacroix's Review
Posted: December 28, 2007, 7:30pm
Mr Coffee Espresso (All)

Arrow The Mr Coffee Espresso (All) has 22 Reviews
Arrow The Mr Coffee Espresso (All) has been rated 6.85 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since February 23, 2002.
Arrow Mr Coffee Espresso (All) reviews have been viewed 130,441 times (updated hourly).

Rene Lacroix 10.00

Product Reviewed: Espresso ECMP40
Manufacturer: Mr. Coffee Quality: 8
Where Bought: Target Aesthetics 6
Similar Items Owned: Krups steam,  Classic Conceps Pump
Bottom Line: Mr. Coffee has engineered this machine to be solid and idiot proof.  I can't see how they can do it for $59 and make a profit.

Easy to use, very forgiving
Doesn't leak even if you Choke the grind
Vertical steam wand ideal for surfing the hole (without enhancer attachment)
Some storage on cup warmer
Sturdy plastic well assembled and tight.

Porta filter basket very tight to seat when gasket is new.
Unit's light weight  requires a hand to prevent unit movement while locking porta filter.
Water reservoir holds  ~32oz but is hard to slide open and tilts down while filling.
1/2 shot glass of crema  but lasts only seconds

This machine has since been retired but still runs after using it for 2 years from Sept 2005 through July 2007.
I received good results with this machine using my own roasted beans.  I never had any trouble with this machine. First thing in the morning I would extract a 25 second double espresso in its non-pressurized filter basket and experience good results.  The crema coated the sides of the empty cup just like the big boys.  It quickly became a good friend.   I put a mark on the steam valve at the point of sealing to avoid over tightening it and it never leaked.  I could get good milk crema but not with the finest of bubbles like you get at Pete’s.  The coffee crema it produced dissipated quickly,  more quickly than my current $89 Classic Concepts CC1812. It can make crema with the Mr. Coffee’s un-pressurized filter basket that will support the granulated sugar as it soaks up the coffee then the sugar sinks like the Titanic to the bottom.  However, the Classic Concepts has other more egregious flaws than the Mr. Coffee. The Mr. Coffee did however extract a good cup with vanilla tiger stripes and all.  I found it to be sturdily built.  It even gave me a God shot once in a while. The ECMP40 has now been replace by the ECMP50.  If it is as reliable I would definitely buy one.

Target online was no adventure.

Posted: December 28, 2007, 7:30pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.183565855026)