Mypressi Twist - Geoff LeCoq's Review
Posted: November 5, 2011, 4:23pm
Mypressi Twist

Arrow The Mypressi Twist has 4 Reviews
Arrow The Mypressi Twist has been rated 9.05 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since January 29, 2011.
Arrow Mypressi Twist reviews have been viewed 20,511 times (updated hourly).

Geoff LeCoq 9.33
B T 9.00
Anthony C 8.50
John Swanson 7.60

Manufacturer: Mypressi Quality: 9
Where Bought: ebay: bluebath Aesthetics 8
Bottom Line: Amazing, hard-to-believe-delicious espresso.  Save thousands by buying the Twist

-Inexpensive
-Amazing espresso

-Espresso ONLY
-Cartridges...
-Shot counter useless

I've been trying to upgrade from my Starbucks Barista machine for a few years now.  I've mostly been looking at HX machines: the Quickmills and the Vibiemmes; all $1000+ machines.  Knowing that I'd also need to upgrade the grinder at the time, I was looking at 1500-2000+.  Unfortunately, this expenditure just isn't feasible right now.  However, driving to Stumptown/Coava/Water Avenue/Barista every few days to get my espresso fix also wasn't going to be financially smart.  Enter the Mypressi Twist.

I had read great reviews about this thing, but it really is tough to wrap your mind around how it can possibly compete with commercial machines such as the LM Linea (see H-B review).  After reading more about the V2 upgrade and how they had fixed many of the issues in V1, plus reading about how well Mypressi stands behind their product, I decided to go for it.  It arrived and I excitedly opened it up, ground some beans, and tried to pull a shot...disaster.  My grinder couldn't even come CLOSE to grinding fine enough for this.  Is your grinder good enough for a prosumer or commercial machine?  No?  Then get something else before buying the Twist.  It comes with a pressurized basket to cope with inferior grinders, but for my situation that would defeat the purpose.  Disappointed, I immediately bought a Vario and soon enough tried again.  Success!  The process is really simple: preheat, preheat, preheat, pull the trigger.  The 'bottomless' feature is really great; I got as much enjoyment out of watching the shot pull as I did in drinking it!

The Twist comes with a plastic tamper (which actually fits! i.e. it WILL work!), a tamping mat, the device itself, 4 n2o cartridges (which each will make AT LEAST 4 doubles; I've been getting 5), a double basket, and a pressurized basket.  After purchasing, your only expenditures are the cartridges (at ~$.40 each) and coffee.  No steaming capabilities, but you can find stand-alone steamers for 40-50 dollars.  The 'shot-counter', new in V2, is pretty useless because I leave it to dry unattached.  I just use a post-it to keep track; no big deal.

The Mypressi Twist is a bit of a strange device: it's priced near Krups machines, but makes espresso that will compete with commercial equipment.  So, who is it marketing to?  Who should be buying this thing?  Well, it's going to be difficult to sell this to anyone who doesn't love straight espresso.  $150 for something that requires cartridges and doesn't steam milk?  Tough sell.  It's also not going to work well for someone who is making espresso for multiple people often.  Preheating and cleanup, while no more time-consuming or difficult (in fact, it's easier) than any other machine for a single shot, must be done each time.  In the end, and in my opinion, the Twist's market is for people like me: those who are on a budget, want to make high-quality espresso, don't require steaming capabilities, and are not making more than one or two/day.  Small market, maybe, but if you are here reading this, you probably fall into that market, and I wholeheartedly recommend the Twist.  It really is an incredible device.

Bottom line: Paired with a good grinder, you'll be easily making espresso that would otherwise cost you THOUSANDS more.

Purchased on ebay from the vendor, Blue Bath.  They throw one up every week or so starting at $99.  I was able to get it for 120 with free shipping.  Very happy.  Mypressi stands behind their device.  Good company.

I was happy to have received the email asking me to write a follow-up, as I just can't wait to fawn over this product.  I absolutely adore it.  Once you get the hang of it, you can pull shots fairly quickly.  The Twist just works, plain and simple--shots are consistently delicious, it requires almost no cleanup or maintenance, temperature retention is better than expected.  My one and only issue I've had with it was with the shower screen leaking slightly.  I emailed Mypressi inquiring about this and received a response within HOURS telling me a new part was on the way (free of charge).  It arrived promptly and since then I've had no issues.

I'm still looking at an upgrade to an HX or DB, but not with the same urgency.  While I had expected to throw the Twist back up on ebay once I made that purchase, I wouldn't dream of doing it now.  This is an excellent espresso machine option--particularly for travel/trips--and I'll be holding onto mine indefinitely.  Again: great product, great company.

I still use the Twist on a daily basis and I honestly can't find a reason to upgrade.  The Twist is great; I've had very few problems and any problems that did come up were handled extremely quickly and courteously by Mypressi.  I'm hopeful that a (rumored) electric modification is on the way to relieve the need for cartridges, but at 4 cents, I'm not really complaining.  Everything I experienced one year ago is still true today and I expect to still be using the Twist a year from now.

Posted: November 5, 2011, 4:23pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.204123973846)