Nemox Opera - Ilkka Virjo's Review
Posted: June 19, 2007, 12:39pm
Nemox Caffe Dell'Opera (Napoletana)

Arrow The Nemox Opera has 10 Reviews
Arrow The Nemox Opera has been rated 8.22 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since June 14, 2002.
Arrow Nemox Opera reviews have been viewed 74,699 times (updated hourly).

Alan Chen 9.00

Manufacturer: Nemox Quality: 3
Where Bought: Bella italia Aesthetics 6
Writer's Expertise: Just starting Would Buy Again: No
Similar Items Owned: None
Bottom Line: Don't pay attention to the ratings I give. Just FYI: The Nemox Napoletana (and Nemox Dell'Opera, Nemox Fenice, Nemox Junior) has a non-removable froth-aid device, which cannot be replaced with a traditional steam tip.

I have limited experience with "real" espresso machines, and I returned this machine to the seller almost immediately. I write this review for one reason only (see below).

I will only mention the one single thing that made me return the product. Unlike the other machines manufactured under the "napoletana" name, NEMOX has a NON-REMOVABLE "froth aid" device as a steam tip. Or, to be more precise, it can be removed. However, you are left with a very short piece of pipe with no steam tip at all if you do that. The same goes, apparently, for all NEMOX consumer machines, like Dell'Opera, Fenice, and Junior.

In my opinion & short experience & www surfing I can conclude that there is no way this machine can produce quality microfoam. It is possible that you can, with time, learn to "cheat" it somehow and "surf the side hole" etc. However, if you are just considering buying a Nemox machine, you should seriously take this into account. If you want to froth milk and get microfoam, you should look somewhere else.

This is a pity, as it seems like all else is in order with this machine. I am not surprised that people have given excellent reviews of its precedessors who have not had this steam tip problem. To me, it seems like a great machine that is spoiled in this latest version by Nemox, by adding a "froth aid" device.

Another thing to consider before your purchase. The reviews of the previous napoletana machines list it as having a brass boiler etc. Nemox has apparently changed this detail too. They sell "Napoletana", which is a cheaper version built of (mostly) stainless steel parts, and "Dell'Opera" which is the same machine but the internals are mostly brass. (They don't keep this difference a secret, but I just thought you should know).

I don't think that I can rate this machine in a meaningful way, other than to note this appalling detail. That's why I'll just give the machine average grades; don't pay attention to them.

I will try to remember to return to this part once I have completed the process of returning the machine & getting a refund ...

Posted: June 19, 2007, 12:39pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.191040039062)