Nespresso Machines - Kevin Sweeney's Review
Posted: February 21, 2007, 3:17pm
Nespresso Espresso Machines

Arrow The Nespresso Machines has 37 Reviews
Arrow The Nespresso Machines has been rated 8.02 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since November 6, 2003.
Arrow Nespresso Machines reviews have been viewed 489,294 times (updated hourly).

Peter Chenoweth 8.50

Manufacturer: Nespresso Quality: 8
Where Bought: Nespresso Aesthetics 7
Owned for: 2 weeks Overall 9
Similar Items Owned: Salton
Bottom Line: High quality , ultra-easy espresso for under $180!

High quality espresso that even my seven year old can make. Very small footprint. No coffee grounds or filter baskets to clean up. Easier to descale than the more expensive models.

The used capsule holder/drip tray assembly can fall apart until you get used to it. I'm still trying to figure out what that little red washer I found in the capsule tray is for! No steaming or frothing capability.

My sister has had a $500 plus Nespresso machine for a couple of years, and I always thought it made pretty good lattes. I switched from lattes to espresso about a year ago and realized my crappy, steam powered, el cheapo Salton machine just wasn't cutting it, so I decided it was time for an upgrade. The more I looked around the internet, the more I decided I wasn't ready for another complicated, expensive, time consuming hobby, I mean come on, $500 grinders!!! (I'm an audiophile/vinyl collector/home theater aficianado/vintage car restorer...you name it, I waste time and money on it) so I forgot about that idea, put my crappy Salton in the garage and paid my $1.30 per shot per day at my local coffee shop. Then I got the bug again when I saw a review of espresso machines on MSNBC where Nespresso came out on top, and the machine they reviewed, the D190, cost much less than my sister's. I went down to my local gourmet kitchen place but was told they didn't carry them and you had to order the capsules on line and that they were a rip off. I decided to buy on line and ended up with the lowly D-90, which I see no one has reviewed here before.

I bought it straight from Nespresso and ordered extra sleeves of Ristretto, Arpeggio and Roma, and it came with the 24 pack samples as well. My first impression was not good. There was a little red washer in the used capsule tray.  I figured it had to come from the machine so I called customer service. I was told, to paraphrase, "Don't worry about it dude, it couldn't have come from YOUR machine, just throw it away and fire that puppy up!"  I did, nothing blew up, and the rest is history.  The rest of my capsule inventory anyway! It was love at first taste, and I actually went through 54 capsules in two weeks. The first cup had that lovely bountiful crema we all crave, just like the shop down the street, and tasted wonderful. I understand this machine has the same innards as the more expensive machines, so I consider it quite a bargain. The cleaning/descaling process is much simpler than my sister's machine, as no disassembly is required.  I did run out of capsules unexpectedly, and that's not a good feeling, but my new supply will be here tomorrow. I retrieved my Salton steamer from the garage out of desperation, and I can't tell you how horrible that stuff tastes now.

Perfect. It arrived in two days direct from Nespresso. The woman on the phone had a lovely French accent.

Posted: February 21, 2007, 3:17pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.188723087311)