Nuova Simonelli Oscar - Karoliina Mäkelä's Review
Posted: July 20, 2002, 6:41am
Nuova Simonelli Oscar

Arrow The Nuova Simonelli Oscar has 36 Reviews
Arrow The Nuova Simonelli Oscar has been rated 8.51 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Nuova Simonelli Oscar reviews have been viewed 270,546 times (updated hourly).

Jay H 9.38

Manufacturer: Nuova Simonelli Quality: 9
Where Bought: Drop Coffee Shops office Aesthetics 9
Writer's Expertise: Professional Would Buy Again: Yes
Similar Items Owned: Never had a pro machine, only Philips Espresso bar
Bottom Line: I truly recommend Oscar to everyone how wants to prepare pro-coffee at home! It also serves fine in small cafés and restaurants!

A great steam wand, enough pressure and a professional group head and gasket. Just like it´s bigger brothers in volume! The looks is great as well (Mine is one of those cream-coloured)...

The only thing I can say, is the tiny "drain tube" which is coming from inside the machine. It really is so tiny it gives you a hard time to get it settled right! You have to pull hard, but when it´s there, you don´t have to worry anymore.

When I got my "Ossie" home, I immediately wanted to use it. By that time I did´nt have a grinder, so I picked up 3 packages of different type grinds. I like best Espresso Roberto (Robert´s Coffees product), which is roasted by profile roasting, and is 100% arabica. The coffee I picked up, was fresh enough to produce a beautiful crema together with Oscar. I pulled about 5-6 shots to make sure what is the right grind for my new baby. Surprisingly the coffee should be very fine, like always when using pro machines. At work (at Robert´s Coffee) I use NS MAC 2000 or Program Vip, and I use the same grind with them as at home. By tamping the coffee with 20 kilograms of power and using fresh, correctly ground coffee you´ll reach wonderful results! The great thing is as well that the steam wand is so efficient. You´ll get smooth and beautifully frothed milk by just strething the milk a bit. Just remember to clean the wand after every use! Cleaning Oscar is very simple. Keep the wand clean all the time, wipe the surfaces with a wet rug and clean all loose parts. Then dose a spoon of Puly (or some else cleaner) in a gasket, put the gasket into the group and push the button. Wait about 10 seconds and stop washing for five seconds. Repeat this 3-4 times first with Puly and then with clean filter. Thats it! And always empty the water tank after using, and keep your coffee in the freezer. Too easy to be true, or what?

It was very unusual! My Oscar was serving in one finnish coffee shop-chains (doesn´t exist anymore, Drop Coffee Shop) office! So it was about one year old (used approx. 30 times only). I knew a guy who used to work at that office, and since they had to sell Oscar, I offered 250,00 € and we made a deal. I also know people at Nuova Simonelli Finland, and they checked my Oscar for free. Now it´s on my kitchen table and I´m so proud...

Now that I´ve used my Oscar for about 7 months I´m still glad I bought it. Espressos I´m pulling are great and the steamer is unbelievably powerful! The machine is easy to use and a true Beauty!

Previous Review
Posted: July 20, 2002, 6:41am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.209491014481)