Nuova Simonelli Oscar - Rick Blair's Review
Posted: September 10, 2009, 11:30am
Nuova Simonelli Oscar

Arrow The Nuova Simonelli Oscar has 36 Reviews
Arrow The Nuova Simonelli Oscar has been rated 8.51 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Nuova Simonelli Oscar reviews have been viewed 276,425 times (updated hourly).

Jay H 9.38
Andrea Karsh 9.00
Lisa Swehla 9.00
Rob B 9.00
Eric Wooten 8.86

Manufacturer: Nuova Simonelli Quality: 9
Where Bought: Used Aesthetics 8
Similar Items Owned: Solis SL
Bottom Line: Perfect home machine if you plumb it and replace steam tip.

Easy Operation
High Quality Parts
Looks
Steam tip has great access, swivels on 2 axis.

Commercial style steam tip makes  too much steam for a single drink
Water reservoir access is difficult, especially if placed under a cabinet

I am upgrading from a Solis SL 90.

Steaming Milk - an essential upgrade/hack

The steam tip on this machine has 4 holes which would be suitable for a coffee shop steaming large quantities of milk.  For a single  or even 2 drinks it is very hard to make microfoam and very easy for the milk to get scalded.  You have about 20 seconds to get it right for a single drink.  I ordered an aftermarket steam tip from Chris Coffee Service with only 2 hole and the holes also appear smaller which seems to create an incredible amount of turbulence.  Now I can steam microfoam better than I have ever seen anywhere... amazing!  The part is NEW2HSTIP    "New" Isomac 2 Hole Steam Tip.

Filling Water

Quite simply it is a real pain in the ass!  The reservoir does not slide in or out very easily but why would you take it out? it has a small round opening in the middle which makes it impossible for me to get under my filtered water spout.  I have to slide this thing out from under my cabinet and carefully fill it in place.  There is also no way to visually check the water level except to look down the reservoir.  I plan on plumbing this thing in to solve this problem.

Drip Tray

The drip tray is huge!! Awesome.

Espresso

Unbelievable, I have a crappy burr grinder and it still pulls a decent shot, please, someone help me not justify spending $500 dollars on a new grinder.

N/A  Bought Used

Posted: September 10, 2009, 11:30am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.191430091858)