Nuova Simonelli Oscar - Scott Greene's Review
Posted: June 4, 2014, 8:09am
Nuova Simonelli Oscar
Arrow Espresso Parts

Arrow The Nuova Simonelli Oscar has 35 Reviews
Arrow The Nuova Simonelli Oscar has been rated 8.65 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Nuova Simonelli Oscar reviews have been viewed 266,098 times (updated hourly).

Jay H 9.38
Rob B 9.00
Lisa Swehla 9.00
Eric Wooten 8.86
Matt Nikkel 8.85

Manufacturer: Nuova Simonelli Quality: 7
Where Bought: eBay Aesthetics 9
Similar Items Owned: Astra Mega II and Piacere HX
Bottom Line: Very nice HX for the home just a few mods from being outstanding.

-Large drip tray
-Heats up quickly (for a HX)
-Lightweight
-Fairly easy to service
-ABS body never gets too hot
-Great steam power for a home machine
-Wife liked using it too (she won't use the other machines)

-Plastic is not as thick as I'd like
-No adjustable OPV
-No vacuum breaker
-Steam knob is counterintuitive
-High pressure polyethylene lines can give out
-No hot water valve

I bought this machine off eBay as a project to flip. When I received it , the only thing it needed was a pressurestat, o-rings, and poly lines. Replacement was straightforward and done in an evening. Being a home use machine, the case isn't as easy to get into as professional or prosumer units.

After getting the machine running, one of the things that bothered me was the lack of an OPV. It has an expansion valve, but that doesn't open until the pressure is near the the max the pump can push. The high pressure, combined with the heat from the boiler next to the poly lines, causes the lines to fail prematurely. This design requires more attention from the user, but is a nonissue once the grind size is dialed in. Another issue is the lack of a vacuum breaker. This is more of an inconvenience, as I had to be near the machine to turn off the steam wand once it was hot.

Using the machine was fun, and it's the only machine my wife liked using to date. Warm-up was less than 1/2h. Recovery time was short between shots, so I'd wait for the water to get too hot and perform a cooling flush to get the right temperature (works great once I figured out the profile). It steamed milk beautifully and quickly. I brought this machine to work a few times too, as it was relatively lightweight and easy to move. The plastic case was not a detractor in my case, as the black hid coffee splashes. It also didn't look out of place next to my other appliances either.

The bottom line is that the Oscar is only a few mods away from being an outstanding HX for the price. If you do a lot of milk drinks, it is an excellent choice. I'll probably end up with another one someday as my main home machine.

Excellent seller packed it correctly.

Posted: June 4, 2014, 8:09am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.176253080368)