Pasquini Livietta T2 - Jan Hansen's Review
Posted: July 14, 2008, 11:52am
Pasquini Livietta T2 Espresso Machine

Arrow The Pasquini Livietta T2 has 8 Reviews
Arrow The Pasquini Livietta T2 has been rated 6.80 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since October 28, 2007.
Arrow Pasquini Livietta T2 reviews have been viewed 57,574 times (updated hourly).

Russell Rutledge 9.50
Neal Shipwash 9.00
Jan Hansen 8.00
Holger Ericsson 7.00
Jerry B 4.50

Manufacturer: Olympia Quality: 9
Where Bought: N/A Aesthetics 8
Similar Items Owned: Pasquini Livia 90S, Gaggia Achille
Bottom Line: This machine makes good shots and microfoam for people who have small counter spaces.  However, if you have the space, there are a lot of choices for a better machine.
  • Fast heat up
  • Nice crema on shots
  • Good for small spaces
  • Simple to use
  • Great Microfoam
  • No need to do cooling flushes
  • Can pull shots and steam at the same time
  • 57mm Portafilter and no triple basket that can fit
  • Cannot take as fine a grind as the Livia 90
  • Slow to steam 7 oz. of milk (about 1.5 mins.)
  • Cannot make too many back to back espressos without dropping temperature
  • Expensive

This was a gift from my husband to use in our vacation home.  Since we love our Pasquini Livia, he had confidence that this new little 'sister' model would live up to the Pasquini name, that is, quality workmanship.

Using this machine is a no brainer.  Fast heat up is a real plus.  It says 4 mins. but I let it heat up for 10 mins. so that the portafilter is piping hot and ready to go.  The basket holds 14 grams of coffee but it cannot take as fine a grind as the Livia.  If I use the recommended factory setting grind for espresso on the Mazzer Mini, the Livia will be able to make a 1.5 - 2 oz. double in 25 - 30 secs. but it would choke the Livietta T2.   When using the Livietta, I have to coarsen the grind by at least a notch or two.

By using my own home roast, I can still make a very nice shot with lots of crema.  The quality is very good but the LIvia is still better.  How this machine beats the Livia is its microfoaming ability!   The one hole steam tip and gentler steaming pressure can create true microfoam compared to Livia's poor steam tip and its overpowering steam output.

The twin thermoblock is quite stable in temperature if I make 3 doubles back to back but I notice a drop in temperature if I make more.  I can still pull a shot and steam at the same time and there is no need to pull a cooling flushing like I would with the Livia because this is not a HX machine.   That means, I don't waste as much bottled water with this machine as with the LIvia.

What this unit lacks is a hot water spout if making an Americano is important.  It also does not have a pressure gauge which I find useless on the Livia anyway.

The warming tray on top is quite useful because the cups do warm up quickly.  I believe it is because of its powerful 1700 watts heating system; therefore, it heats up everything very rapidly making it superior to the Livia.

There are pros and cons to this machine especially comparing to the Livia.  I have never owned a machine with an E61 group so I cannot compare this to one.  The Livietta T2 is still a very capable machine making nice shots and microfoam while requiring minimal space; therefore, it is great for someone with limited counter space.  However, if one has enough counter space for a Livia or other bigger and better machines, then I would say go for those since the $1000 price tag for the Livietta is no bargain and one can find many other choices.

N/A

Posted: July 14, 2008, 11:52am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.185486793518)