Quick Mill Alexia - Bill Miano's Review
Quick Mill Alexia Espresso Machine
Arrow CupAndBrew.com

Arrow The Quick Mill Alexia has 15 Reviews
Arrow The Quick Mill Alexia has been rated 9.27 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since October 22, 2007.
Arrow Quick Mill Alexia reviews have been viewed 79,137 times (updated hourly).

Bill Miano 9.50

Previous Review
Manufacturer: Quick Mill Quality: 9
Where Bought: HiTechEspresso.com Aesthetics 7
Similar Items Owned: La Pavoni Europicolla
Bottom Line: A great espresso only, single boiler machine, for the household that does not need to steam multiple milk drinks.
  • Easy to adjust and stable temperature control with PID
  • Lever actuated E61 group
  • Easy to adjust pressure (OPV) valve
  • Single boiler is easy to maintain
  • No temp surfing with single boiler and PID
  • HUGE drip tray
  • Vibe pump is noisy (typical for vibe pumps)
  • Boiler needs to have the air/steam bled frequently (almost every time before making a round of shots). **This problem was fixed, see the three month follow-up**

For clarification, the Alexia is NOT a heat-exchanger machine, it is a single boiler machine. The CoffeeGeek description lists it as a heat exchanger.....

WHY ALEXIA?

I purchased the Alexia almost one year ago and an upgrade to my tried and true La Pavoni Europiccola. I wanted to go to an electric pump machine and something that had stable temperature control instead of the wide swings of most mechanical temperature controlled machines. I also did not want the hassle of temp surfing and wasting a bunch of time and water waiting for a heat exchanger machine to cool down to brewing temp. Since I mainly drink shots and only make 1-2 milk drinks per day for the wife, I decided on a single boiler machine, with an installed PID, or a kit that I could install myself.

After playing around with my friend’s Rancilio Silvia, I looked around the internet coffee sites to see what was available. I did not want to upgrade again, so I looked at some double-boiler machines like the Brewtus, but the cost turned me off. I stumbled upon the Alexia on Chriscoffee.com and then researched it until I went blind from staring into the computer screen. The Alexia had all of the features that I was looking for (PID available, temp stability). The manual lever E61 group, larger boiler, and pressure gauge is what finally convinced me to go with Alexia instead of Silvia. I also found an old stovetop  milk steamer that I use instead of heating the single boiler to steam pressure to make the milk drinks.

After talking to Chris (Chriscoffee.com) on the phone about the Alexia, he referred me to Dave of Hittechespresso.com, to whom Chris wholesales Alexia’s for PID installs (Chris now offers his own PID installs and kits and hitechespresso installs on his Chriscoffee.com website). I took the plunge and ordered from Dave at HiTech.

SHE ARRIVES:

The Alexia is a serious espresso machine. It is larger than the Silvia, and quite heavy. If I remember correctly, the Alexia is about 40 lbs dry.

The Alexia comes with a single and double basket, a blind filter for cleaning and back-flushing, two portafilters, and a cheap throw-away tamper/scoop. From what I have seen, Chris and other vendors usually have a "package deal" where you can add a real tamper and/or bottomless portafilter for a small extra charge.

The reservoir holds plenty of water for pulling shots over a few days. I use RO water from the grocery store as my tap water is extremely hard. I mix the RO with a little bit of tap water (about 100 RO:1 tap) to get some minerals back in to supposedly prevent the boiler from leaching copper into the water. The instructions state to use filtered and soft water to protect the boiler from scale.

USE:

I have been in espresso nirvana since receiving Alexia. After an initial break-in period of figuring out the proper temp to set the PID and how fine to grind the coffee, everything is now repeatable. I also purchased a bottomless portafilter to help me dial-in the variables and get a better idea of what is happening.

The PID allows temp adjustments to suit different coffees. I hardly ever need to adjust it, unless I make a decaf, which seems to “like” a higher temperature. I usually keep the PID set at 222º F, and once the machine heats up (about 20-30 minutes minimum) it stays nailed there. While pulling a shot, the temp goes down, but quickly returns to normal within a minute or two. Pulling multiple back-to-back shots is no problem on the Alexia as the temp stays within a few degrees of the set-point. 222º F PID boiler temp delivers 200º F water to the grouphead ± 5º F depending on how many shots I am pulling in a row. For my palate, 195-205º F means tasty espresso.

The instructions say that the machine can be left on 24/7. I don't like the idea of leaving it on all the time, but I do leave it on during the day until I have had my fill of coffee and decaf. I also purchased a high-wattage timer that allows me to have the Alexia warmed up when I wake up.

The E61 group is large and stays hot, as long as you purge the air/steam from the top of the boiler frequently. If you forget to purge before making a shot, you will quickly realize that it takes about 20 seconds for the pressure to build before water hits your puck. The air and steam bubble on the top of the boiler causes the E61 to stop circulating hot water through it, so if it seems cool to the touch, try purging. This only happens a few times before you remember to purge prior to every session. The Instructions that come with the Alexia, written by Chris and a supplement from Dave, both state to purge the air before every use.

Speaking of the instructions, both sets that came with my machine are well written and have great information. These are not the standard “poor translation from Italian” that I have seen with other machines, like my Pavoni.

In the negatives, I stated that the pump is noisy. Well, every vibe-pump machine that I have used or seen all sound the same, so as far as a negative, it is the same as other machines. Also, the Alexia is not what I would describe as “sexy”. It is the standard square stainless-steel box with a E61 grouphead sticking out the front and metal toggle switches on top. After having the Pavoni on the counter for years, the Alexia is a little bit of a let down. But the functionality and availability of being able to pull a shot whenever I want throughout the day quickly makes up for it.

I use the Alexia with a Mazzer Mini grinder and repeat the advice given to me, which is spend as much as you can on a grinder before getting this (or any other) machine. I have tried using my older cheaper grinders and the difference in taste and performance is obvious.

Clean-up is easy with the supplied blank filter and following the instructions. I do the portafilter wiggle once a day, and backflush every couple of days with just water. Detergent backflushes happen about once a month and I have de-scaled twice since owning. For descaling, I use Urnex (citric acid) and let it sit in the boiler for an hour, then flush about 4 reservoirs of clean water through.

OVERALL:

If you are looking at a Silvia or other high-end single boiler machine, give the Alexia a hard look. If you regularly steam milk, you may want to spend the extra for a double-boiler or heat exchanger machine.

I would buy an Alexia again if I needed to, but I think this will be the last machine for a very long time for me.

Easy.

Chris' site is great and phone support is wonderful.

Dave from Hitechesspresso has an eBay store that is easy to navigate and buy from.

They both personally answered my phone calls and emails.

Still love the Alexia!

Only minor changes since the initial review. Total time of ownership is approximately 15 months.

I keep the PID set to 220ºF

I had an issue with my OPV (Over Pressure Valve) bleeding the water out of the boiler while the machine was sitting idle at operating temperature. This is why I had to bleed the steam out of the boiler for about 20 seconds before I pulled a shot (see initial review). The OPV wouldn't seal completely causing the hot water in the boiler to leak back into the tank through the OPV return hose. It became bad enough that I finally emailed Dave at Hitechespresso.com from whom I purchased the machine. He sent me a new valve within the week and the Alexia works like a champ now! There is no longer any steam/air bubble in the boiler. I can pull shots without having to fill the boiler and purge the steam before every shot.

After a little more than 2 years, the Alexia is still used almost every day. Since the OPV replacement there has been no major issues. Routine maintenance is all that has been necessary (cleaning and occasional descaling).

I do have parts on order to take care of some minor issues. Both of these are very easy to replace, and from what I have read on forums, they are both common parts to replace:

I am going to replace the tube that goes from the boiler to the pressure gauge (the capillary tube) because the original is plugged. The gauge stopped working so I cleared the ends of the tube and everything was good.... for a few days. The tube only costs $10. I will update if that does not fix the problem.

I am going to replace the high-limit switch ($15) on top of the boiler. Mine seems to trip at around 225-230 degrees F, much too low if you are trying to steam. It sometimes trips even when making multiple espresso shots in rapid succession and the boiler is trying to "catch-up". It started doing this about 6 months ago but has steadily become worse. I will also update on this if the problem is not fixed.

My recommendation stays intact for anyone that does not REGULARLY steam milk. For the straight espresso drinker or occasional milk-steamer, this is, and has been, a wonderful machine.

4 YEAR FOLLOWUP:

Still going..... I use the Alexia every day. Only minor repairs and maintenance as listed above. Still makes great espresso and steams like a champ. I am going to make myself a shot right now!

Previous Review
Posted: October 22, 2007, 3:03pm
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.197655916214)