Quickmill Silvano - Edward Sweed's Review
Posted: March 30, 2012, 4:08pm
QuickMill Silvano

Arrow The Quickmill Silvano has 25 Reviews
Arrow The Quickmill Silvano has been rated 8.99 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since January 29, 2011.
Arrow Quickmill Silvano reviews have been viewed 106,596 times (updated hourly).

Zim Berto 9.50
Don Walter 9.50
Mike C 9.00
Fernando R 9.00
Noel Labat-Comess 9.00

Manufacturer: Quickmill Quality: 9
Where Bought: Chris Coffee Aesthetics 9
Owned for: 2 weeks Overall 9
Bottom Line: Silvano is a pleasure to use.  Great shots, easy cleanup, not too big a machine, room on top for cups and sugar, plenty of steam.

Dialing in one degree temperature increments does help with coffee flavor.  Steaming is better than I had hoped.  Drip tray is very large.  I use a $10 timer to turn it on each morning.  Nice to be able easily to set pump pressure

Minor stuff:  The front metal plate had small dents and an area where the metal seemed worn off.  It is being replaced.  The puck is a bit soggy, so knocking it out leaves behind some goop.

Dialing in temperatures at one degree increments allowed me to find 197f-198f as the best for my Peet's Coffee blend.  Excellent flavor and consistency.  Steaming more than adequate.  I steam only 3-4 oz of milk at a time.  Steaming power remains constant.  Just received my very heavy and very Italian espresso and cappuccino cups.  For espresso I use the single basket and while empty and in the group head pour brew water into the empty cup.  I empty the cup after a bit and do it again, bringing the heavy cup to a very hot temperature.  My sugar is in a metal container on top of the machine, so it, too, is a bit warm.  The shot in the hot cup is delicious.  For capps, I use the double basket, pour brew water into the larger cup, grind, tamp, insert.  Then I steam the water in cup for a few seconds to bring the cup to a hot temperature.  Empty the water, wipe dry, and pour the shot, while at the same time, steaming the milk.  My cups are 6oz, thus not too much milk is required.  I bang out the puck into the knock box but because the puck is soft, some coffee remains.  I wash the portafilter as it is partially inserted into the group.  Wipe clean.  Ready for the next shot.  The water tank is easy to fill and more than sufficient for several espressos and capps.  There is no warning buzzer, so I refill the tank each day.

Worked with Scott at Chris Coffee.  Upon delivery I noticed some dents and a blemish on the metal panel in the front of the machine.  Scott offered to take one off another new machine and send it to me.  Seems like I received a discount.  Delivery was on time and unit was well packaged.  I ordered a knock box and tamper as well.

Solid machine with dependable results.  Very excellent espresso.  Steaming is very adequate for my small milk quantities.

Very, very happy with the Silvano.  The espresso I get from Peet's beans is superb, time after time.  Temp is set at 196f.  I steam small quantities of milk very quickly.  I have found that first bleeding the steam wand with steam for at least five seconds seems to produce better foam.  In all, a fine machine with repeatable excellent shots.

Posted: March 30, 2012, 4:08pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.190590143204)