Rancilio Silvia - Andrew Balfe's Review
Posted: March 20, 2010, 1:48am
Arrow EspressoOutlet.net

Arrow Rancilio Silvia reviews have been viewed 1,692,008 times (updated hourly).

Where Bought: EspressoCoffeeShop Aesthetics 8
Similar Items Owned: Gaggia Classic
Bottom Line: Good machine while it worked, wouldn't risk another one as it is too expensive for such a short life.  Going back to Gaggia.

Looks good although a little industrial.  Weight would suggest quality

Died after one year.

I spent a lot of time reading reviews before buying this machine.  I had previously owned a Gaggia Classic which I had used everyday for five years.  I went for the Silvia after reading rave reviews about quality of build and the double boiler.  The machine looks quite good although the switch are a little industrial.  If weight is anything to go by, you would think high quality but.....read on.

After just a year, the boiler went.  Great that's it made out of brass, not much good when it dies.  I have spent a year now going back and forth with EspressoCoffeeShop to get it fixed with no joy.  Although I bought it off a UK site, it transpired that the site was based in Italy.  Coffee machine from Italy, sounds great until you have a problem.  I finally brought it to a Gaggia service centre in Ireland to be told that it was dead, beyond repair as the boiler (the heart of the machine) was dead.

This was an expensive machine and having to shell out again after such a short time really hurts.  Stay away from EspressoCoffeeShop, good experience until you need service.

Buying experience great, after sales service horrible (non existent even)

After some persistence, managed to get the machine repaired by EspressoCoffeeShop and have had it back now for a month or so.  I have to say, and this is after a year of pain, I'm glad to have it back.  It takes some time to get used to, but once you've got it, it does make a great cup of coffee.  Will I ever buy another, I guess it depends on how long it lasts this time.

Incidentally, when I had given up hope on the Rancilio I decided to go to the dark side and bought a Nespresso.  What a great little machine.  Not the same degree of satisfaction but when you want a quick, decent cup of coffee without the mess, it can't be beaten.

Posted: March 20, 2010, 1:48am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.18963599205)