Rancilio Silvia - Carl Scott's Review
Posted: December 13, 2009, 9:46am
Arrow Batch Coffee

Arrow Rancilio Silvia reviews have been viewed 1,660,214 times (updated hourly).

Where Bought: 1st in Coffee Aesthetics 5
Similar Items Owned: Starbucks Sirena, Krups Gusto
Bottom Line: Seems well-built, but espresso is very disappointing, with nearly zero crema, no matter what I tried.  Not worth it, a $100 Krups out-performs it.  Good at frothing, but not great. Thumbs down.

Great reviews on this machine are a mystery to me.  I brewed close to 20 espressos and couldn't get a decent pull no matter what I tried.  Steamer is pretty good, but not the best.    Making a good espresso should not be this difficult . . .  But, it seems very well-built, if that matters when the espresso is substandard.

Can't make a decent espresso, no matter what grind, tamp, or fill used.  Not attractive on the countertop (drip tray and top are industrial looking, and drip tray arrived scratched).

After brewing 2 espressos with zero crema, I contacted 1st in Coffee to ask what I was doing wrong.  They sent me a pdf copy of their "how to" guide, which was supposed to have been in the box, and told me they thought my grind was too coarse.   I tried every grind possible, tamped harder and softer, carefully measured my fills, and ended up just wasting a lot of coffee without ever getting a decent pull.  I'm sending it back.

My old $100 krups made much better espresso with little effort, and better froth, too, but it was dying after many years of good use.  I ended up with a Starbucks Sirena, made by Saeco - great machine at less than half the cost of this proud Roncilio.

1st in Coffee shipped immediately and was responsive when I needed help.  Good web site.  I just bought the wrong machine.

Posted: December 13, 2009, 9:46am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.193670034409)