Rancilio Silvia - Curt Yamamoto's Review
Posted: June 13, 2006, 2:50pm
Arrow Morala Trading Inc.

Arrow Rancilio Silvia reviews have been viewed 1,687,393 times (updated hourly).

Where Bought: Whole Latte Love Aesthetics 10
Similar Items Owned: gaggia classic
Bottom Line: This machine will not be the limiting factor in have great home espresso

superior results,
well made,
utilitarian classic design,
performance and value

warm up time,
wait time for steam,
lack of water level indicator

After months of reading review and quizzing friends, I decided, for me, Silvia was the machine to buy.  It offered the basic features I needed and most importantly it appeared to offer a level of performance above anything else in its price class.

Someone in my family owns a gaggia classic which I also liked but for me the Silvia delivered better shots.

It took me a while to discover that the machine needs to be on much longer from the time the indicator lights tell you it's ready.  You also need to experiment with your grind and tamping.  I was amazed how different coffee beans change my shot times.  I bought a stainless steel housed small digital timer which can stick to the side of Silvia, It looks fine on the machine and is a help when first learning the intricacies. However once you have everything dialed in, you will have consistantly GREAT shots.  Now after reading some of the reviews from the PID installations, I'm somewhat considering that modification.  There's some good information and links from some PID sellers in Ebay.

I always pull doubles and use the Marzocco 2 cup filter basket.  I bought a solid metal tamper which works far better than the OEM plastic one.  Bed Bath and Beyond has some cool glass and wire handle Espresso cups, the top of the wire handle where it curves toward the glass cup is exactly 2 shots.  I use this all time instead of 2 shot glasses.

Steaming milk is easy with some practice, the machine will not be the reason you don't have good results.

For a quick cleaning, I pull a shot with the portafilter basket off and a small pitcher under the head, while the machine has been in the steam mode. Make sure that you hold the pitcher so that your hand is away from the steam.  This however is not a substitute for a real cleaning.  Take the time to run through a cleaning solution and take apart your group head, I also purchased a backflush stopper and was surprised to see the gunk that came out.

I bought the Rancilio base which really enhances the looks and provides storage for accessories.

If I had more counter space and needed to make lattes all the time,  I 'd get a double boiler machine to get around the steam wait.  But for me the Rancilio Silvia is perfect.

no problems, competitive price.

Posted: June 13, 2006, 2:50pm
Rocket Espresso Machines
Free extended warranty & free shipping. Contact us for best prices.
espressooutlet.net
Quick Mill Machines
Free extended warranty & shipping. Enter email for best price / match
espressooutlet.net
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.208156108856)