Rancilio Silvia - Jay St's Review
Posted: July 29, 2008, 8:40pm

Arrow Rancilio Silvia reviews have been viewed 1,637,254 times (updated hourly).

Where Bought: Hitechespresso.com Aesthetics 8
Bottom Line: A Proportional-Integral-Derivative controller keeps Silvia on track.

Temperature stability courtesy of a PID and plenty of brass.   Easy to clean.  Compact, and fashionably stainless.

Small drip tray, no water level indicator.

I spent ten years pulling occasionally drinkable shots from different Krups pump machines and an inexpensive burr grinder.  It wasn't real espresso, but I was learning.  With a good espresso blend from the local roaster, the limitations of the machines were not too apparent to me.  Salvation was at hand, however, when I broke the pressurized portafilter and a replacement was not available for a reasonable price.  I tried to keep it alive by taking a hacksaw to the portafilter and inserting a plain basket where the pressurized bits used to be.  Not surprisingly, my portafilter hack did not produce a quality shot.  I was only camping out, and it became apparent that I needed to upgrade.

My better half indulged my desires to get a higher quality setup last year.  I read good things about the Silvia, and liked the price, but also read long explanations about temperature surfing.  I was tired of inconsistent shots, so I looked at the various offerings, and decided to get a machine with a PID installed from Hitechespresso.com.  It has been a short learning curve.  With the addition of a Rocky and an inexpensive gram scale, I am pulling consistent shots, and enjoying my morning routine more than ever.  My local roaster's blend never tasted so good, and I'm experimenting with blends recommended here with great success.

The Silvia beat my expectations, and while it doesn't reproduce the shots I occasionally buy from a couple of excellent DC area coffee bars, it does produce a consistent, repeatable shot that is responsive to minor adjustments in grind, dose, and temperature settings.

Purchased from Hitechespresso.com.  Dave has been patient and responsive to my inquiries.

Posted: July 29, 2008, 8:40pm
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.198773145676)