Rancilio Silvia - Matthew Smith's Review
Posted: September 7, 2003, 4:07am
Arrow CupAndBrew.com
Arrow Batch Coffee

Arrow Rancilio Silvia reviews have been viewed 1,637,525 times (updated hourly).

Where Bought: Coffee For Connoisseurs Aesthetics 9
Similar Items Owned: Rocky Grinder
Bottom Line: I wish we'd bought Silvia first time round.  An excellent product.

A well-built, good looking, solid (14kg of solid) machine which produces great coffee.

The tamper is a disgrace when compared with the quality of the machine.  The English translation of the manual is good for a laugh, but not very helpful.  Thankfully, Alan Frew (Coffee For Connoisseurs) provides his own documentation with the machine.

This has been a case of not knowing how bad something is until you come across something good.  After two years experience of a Krupps machine - some of that involving a screwdriver - Silvia is a breath of fresh air.

Although a little more complex in operation to the "press the button, every cup just as bad" than the Krupps, Silvia rewards the time taken to learn how to use her.   I have read comments suggesting that Silvia can be tricky to use but then a car (automobile) can be tricky to drive on the first attempt.  Perseverance will be rewarded.

The only flaws that I can report are the cheap'n'nasty tamper and the dreadful translated-with-a-dictionary manual.  Alan's (Frew) documentation more than makes up for the manual and, although fiddly, the tamper is useable.

In addition to being a solid machine which makes good coffee, Silvia's looks add a touch of class to our kitchen.

This experience of a Rancilio product give me confidence in looking to my next purchase - Silvia's best friend, Rocky.

Alan Frew (Coffee For Connoisseurs), a regular writer in this forum, proves that there is still such a thing as service.  Everything fully tested before despatch and DECENT coffee samples included in addition to much needed documentation.

Still think Silvia's a great machine, limited only by the proficiency of the operator, who is getting better...

Now an old hand working with Silvia, I really can't find anything to fault.  I've even got used to the yucky plastic tamper.

I find that with Silvia, the Rocky grinder and the excellent coffees that we get from Coffee for Conoisseurs <www.coffeeco.com.au>, my wife and I have become exceedingly hard to please when taking espresso in cafes.

Posted: September 7, 2003, 4:07am
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.201176166534)