Rancilio Silvia - Larry Prescott's Review
Posted: February 14, 2006, 3:06pm

Arrow Rancilio Silvia reviews have been viewed 1,685,381 times (updated hourly).

Where Bought: WholeLatteLove Aesthetics 8
Bottom Line: Sorry that I bought this crema-challenged machine.

The best thing about this machine is its powerful steamer

I have been making espresso drinks for over 30 years and have owned my Rancilio Silva for over a year, but I cannot figure out how to get decent crema with this machine.  I have tried every trick I know, but I only get decent crema about 10-20% of the time.  I also do not like how long it takes the steamer to heat.  Finally, the metal finish on the coffee holder is flaking off in places.

I bought this machine after extensive research on the Web and reading many reivews.  I don't understand why the machine is rated so highly, for the reasons stated above.  The machine is slow to heat for brewing and painfully slow to heat for steaming.  I have to allow several additional minutes now for latte making in the mornings when I have to be somewhere, which is most mornings.  I thought that when I upgraded from the $200-300 range of espresso machines that I would get a noticeable improvement in my coffe making experience, but when your machine won't produce good crema each time, you stay frustrated.  I am very disappointed with my purchase and plan to buy something different.  I still have the Krups machine that I thought I was upgrading and it wins hands down in the crema department.  Please note that I can't recall what I actually paid for the machine when i bought it over a year ago, but I couldn't publish my review unless I plugged a number into this template.

My purchase through WholeLatteLove was very satisfactory.

Posted: February 14, 2006, 3:06pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.20098900795)