Solis Master 5000 - Joe Riordan's Review
Posted: October 25, 2003, 7:21am
Solis Master 5000

Arrow The Solis Master 5000 has 12 Reviews
Arrow The Solis Master 5000 has been rated 7.98 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Solis Master 5000 reviews have been viewed 51,727 times (updated hourly).

Mike McGinness 8.41
David Nielsen 8.00
Rod Martens 7.20
Michael Sanginari 6.66
Joe Riordan 6.00

Manufacturer: Solis/Saeco Quality: 8
Where Bought: 1st Line Aesthetics 7
Writer's Expertise: Beginner Would Buy Again: No
Bottom Line: We loved the machine, but too many problems.

Machine makes fantastic espresso and cafe crema.

The bin for the beans is almost flat, so the beans won't flow properly.  After every several cups, you have to lift the lid and push the beans over the hole to the grinder.  What were they thinking?

I've been using this machine for espresso, cappucino and cafe crema primarily, and it makes them all beautifully.  My other half is totally NOT mechanically inclined, and loves the machine too.  You can always see the water level, so you just have to dump the grounds occasionally and check the beans frequently.  Then just push a button for a great cup of coffee.
I'm not crazy about the frothing gizmo, it seems to just make big bubbles fast, like the kids at S*bucks.  Maybe I just need more practice.  But the cappucino is still closer to what I've had in Italy than any I can buy around here.

I keep a Brita filter pitcher filled next to it, so I can easily refill the water supply.  You don't want to have to lift that thing off and carry it back and forth to the sink, even if it's only inches away.

See 1 year follow-up.

I still like the machine and it is still working well, but the almost flat bin for beans is absolutely maddening.  It might as well hold enough for just a few shots, because I constantly have to lift the lid off and push the beans over the grinder.

Stopped working, the grinder spins but coffee won't feed.  Makes the same sound as when it is out of coffee.  Tried to get service from 1st-Line where I bought it, but they said "It will take a very long time", with no definition of what that meant.  Then they said I MUST email to schedule appt to bring it in for service, they won't discuss on the phone.  They have ignored my email for weeks.  So don't buy from 1st-Line if you may ever want to use them for service, it's non-existant!

Posted: October 25, 2003, 7:21am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.18606710434)