Solis SL-70 - Pine Siskin's Review
Posted: July 10, 2002, 4:56pm
Solis SL-70

Arrow The Solis SL-70 has 25 Reviews
Arrow The Solis SL-70 has been rated 7.21 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Solis SL-70 reviews have been viewed 110,195 times (updated hourly).

James Schulman 8.50

Manufacturer: Solis/Saeco Quality: 0
Where Bought: Internet Aesthetics 0
Writer's Expertise: Advanced Would Buy Again: No
Similar Items Owned: Solis Burr Grinder
Bottom Line: Be sure if you buy this machine to insist they replace it within the warranty period if it doesn't work.  If it does work, I defer to the excellent review on this site by a staff person.

Actually, my review sounds more negative than it is.  The review I found on this site gave me information on how to better use my Solis Crema 70.  SOME MACHINES HAVE DEFECTS, and I seem to have received one of them.  The review by the engineer explained why that might be.  I would never have known I got a lemon if I hadn't also purchased the identical machine for my daughter, a barrista for six years.  Her IDENTICAL machine made sublime drinks, and mine made garbage.  I immediately wrote the company and asked for an exchange and they said try this and that and I even sent it back for "repair" and it STILL did not work.  I must say they have SUPERB customer service, because eventually they are just sending a new machine.

The steamer on my machine did not work properly, and I wasted my 30 day warrantee time from the company I bought it from trying this and that with the Solis rep, who is sweet as sweet can be (Josie).  I'm saying it here for all to see: JOSIE IS AN ANGEL.

As my daughter's machine, identical to mine except that hers worked and mine never did, makes very good coffee, including straight shots, the true test, then I'm going to stick with the new  Solis Crema 70 they are sending me, and use the non-pressurized filters, as per Mark's {?} article which reviewed in depth how to fiddle the machine to make it do its thing.  I've printed all that and will follow his arcane instructions to the  T.  The engineer's review also helped explain WHY I had the problem--an internal issue easy to have had a fault not present in my daughter's identical machine.  Neurologists say that two people could have the exact same brain injury at the exact same age with the exact same body, and one would live and one would die.  If you get the "dead" machine, SEND IT BACK WITHIN THE WARRANTEE time from the DEALER, and get a new one.  The instructions that come with it are rather difficult to follow.  {Mark} from CoffeeGeeks should write a new instruction manual including his tips.

I purchased mine and my daughter's from WholeLatteLove on-line.  It was delivered practically the next day--not surprising since the local dealer lives nearby.  WholeLatteLove sort of ruined by 30 day time period for their warrantee because they sent me to the company rather than say, as say  Sears on-line would, "we'll send you a new machine."
(That IS what Sears said when my similar-priced piece of equipment developed a problem, and that IS why I will go back to SEARS, on my knees at the computer if necessary.)

I regret to say that this machine does NOT hold up to heavy use (4-5 shots a day isn't really that heavy).  Besides the initial problems with the first machine, which they finally with great reluctance replaced after a great deal of wasted time, subsequently the machine has: sprunk a leak and leaked all over the kitchen (husband had to repair with Solis people on phone); and the steamer knob is not working any more.  I bought this machine because an on-line review said that for the money and sort of low-end parts in terms of looks, it was a good deal, and made a decent shot.  I would rather have had a machine that held up.  The time and postage I've wasted would have paid for a better quality machine.  The shots are fine; the steamer isn't working quite right because the knob is no longer working.

Posted: July 10, 2002, 4:56pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.18658208847)