Starbucks Barista - Jonathan Ewing's Review
Posted: September 22, 2009, 2:08pm

Arrow Starbucks Barista reviews have been viewed 990,224 times (updated hourly).

Larry Holt 8.00
Jim Pennington 8.00

Bottom Line: Starbucks Barista, which is an Italian Saeco machine rebranded by Starbucks, is an excellent starter, with excellent build quality and consistency.

Well machined stainless steel body, sturdy construction and consistent reliability.

Single boiler, dripping frother, pressurized portafilter.

I have used this machine every day (4 shots per day), with limited exception, for three straight years.  It is unusual to buy any product that is so reliable.  The water in South Florida is very soft, and I have never had to descale the unit one time, and the taste is still superb.  I have no other espresso machine to use as a frame of reference to compare quality, but the end result has been consistently balanced shots of espresso.  The only problem I have had is the perforated cylinder that sprays water into the portafilter has a screw that is stripped and thus, it pops out from time to time.  Other than that, it has no real drawbacks other than a lack of non-pressurized portafilter and the limitation of a single boiler.  I have been waiting for this machine to break down so I could justify the purchase of a Silvia or Gaggia, but since it keeps making good shots, I'll have to relocate it to my office and then buy a new machine for  home.   I have recommended this machine to several friends that have decided to stop paying $4 every morning for a sub-standard latte at Starbucks.  It pays for itself in 3-4 months.

I personally feel that two far more critical variables in making a good shot are consistent grind and fresh high quality beans.

Small-Batch Roasting: I started small-batch roasting beans three years ago and roast twice a week.  A high quality bean, roasted freshly and degassed for 24 hours, will yield a far more complex shot, regardless of the espresso maker, than an old bean will in an Isomac!

Perfect Grind:  I've heard that the Mini Mazzer is the ultimate grinder for the home espresso nut, but I didn't have the big bills to justify one, just yet.  However, I bought a Rancilio Rocky Doserless grinder two years ago and saw a profound improvement in grind consistency, and thus, espresso flavor.

In summary,  Starbucks Barista, which is an Italian Saeco machine rebranded by Starbucks, is an excellent starter, with excellent build quality and consistency.

Bought at a Starbucks.

Posted: September 22, 2009, 2:08pm
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.182600975037)