Starbucks Barista - Chris Wyser-Pratte's Review
Posted: March 20, 2000, 12:05am

Arrow Starbucks Barista reviews have been viewed 1,008,977 times (updated hourly).

Dave Jahsman 8.00

Where Bought: Aesthetics 6
Writer's Expertise: Aficionado Would Buy Again: n/a
Bottom Line: OK coffee, sometimes not hot enough. Modest steaming capacity. But its not expensive and the service is great.

Crema is usually pretty good (though enhanced, I think, by the portafilter construction.)Reasonable price, especially on frequent reduced-price sales. Compact, and easy to maintain. Moreover, Ive found Starbucks service to be without par. I actually broke the handle of the portafilter after the warranty period expired, and they sent me a new one FREE. (I received it right away by Fedex and they enclosed a free shipping return label. How much better can service get?)

Coffee is sometimes not hot enough. I actually engage the steam button to boost the boiler temperature before making coffee, and I still occasionally have to put the resulting product in the microwave. Steaming capacity is modest.

In fairness, I should say that this product actually has the Saeco label on it. But it was bought at Starbucks, and when I bought it they told me they were going to begin private labeling the machine;and there are no external changes in the version with the Starbucks name; I doubt there are really any internal changes.

Basically its a pretty good starter machine for the money, certainly easier to use than La Pavoni Europiccola. But make no mistake about it; the Baby Gaggia makes better coffee and better steam for not much more money.

Posted: March 20, 2000, 12:05am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.199115991592)