Starbucks Barista - Richard Orlin's Review
Posted: December 28, 2005, 1:24pm

Arrow Starbucks Barista reviews have been viewed 1,010,554 times (updated hourly).

Dave Jahsman 8.00

Owned for: 2 weeks Overall 8
Writer's Expertise: Just starting Would Buy Again: Yes
Bottom Line: Easy to use, fool-proof semi-automatic for the coffeegeek-in-training.
  1. Inexpensive, when on sale.
  2. Easy to use; no tamping required, grind-forgiving.
  3. High quality workmanship for price.

Too expensive when not on sale.
Too forgiving, so you never really learn how to grind/tamp/pull a shot

I've been researching inexpensive semi-automatic espresso machines for about a month and have purchased several, but have found them all to be lacking. Lucky for me that I bought them all at stores with liberal return policies. I've tried several Dilonghis, the new Krups EX4000 and a Saeco Via Veneto. The Saeco Via Veneto came closest to what I was looking for and the price was right ($100) but I decided the all-plastic construction was just too flimsy (read "cheesey") for me. I read all the reviews on the Starbucks Barista and thought that this is the right espresso machine for me. However, $399 was more that I wanted to spend. Then I happened upon the Starbucks Christmas sale and purchased a Barista for $299 with a free pound of coffee.

This espresso machine is all that I wished for. I am not a coffee-geek,  I just like a good latte;  I'm not a straight espresso drinker. This machine makes the best lattes I have ever tasted. My wife, who balked at me spending $300 for a "coffemaker" was a quick convert.

I highly recommend this machine if you don't want to be bothered by grinding, dosing, tamping, pulling and just want a good espresso or latte. It comes with accessories for espresso pods and a training video. It's so easy to use that I haven't unwrapped the video. The sale is on until January 5th, so hurry. If you buy one on eBay, make sure it is new, in the box. As I understand it, Starbucks has two sales a year: Christmas sale and a brewing sale  either March or May.

Easy: pick it up and hand the barista your Amex card.

Posted: December 28, 2005, 1:24pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.203377008438)