Starbucks Barista - Shane Olson's Review
Posted: January 15, 2002, 12:24pm

Arrow Starbucks Barista reviews have been viewed 1,010,728 times (updated hourly).

Dave Jahsman 8.00

Where Bought: used Aesthetics 7
Writer's Expertise: I live coffee Would Buy Again: No
Similar Items Owned: Krups espresso mini
Bottom Line: a good first machine

I like the way it heats up quite quickly.  It seems to be fairly sturdily made.  The water resevoir is large and can be filled from the top and the water level is somewhat visible without opening anything.

I don't like the pressurised porta-filter  Lots of stuff to get dirty.

I would not have gotten this machine brand new, I would have spent the extra $100 or so to get a silvia.   When I was offered the chance to purchase a barista, I was a bit unsure after reading the reviews on it.  After using it I found that it is a pretty good machine, a vast improvement from my steam powerd Krups.   I am not sure if I like the portafilter, lots of places to get quite dirty and encrusted with  espresso residue.  I always run a couple of ounces of clear water through after doing a shot.    I have also found that a light tamp produces the best results.

I bought it sightly used from a friend, so my experience was good.

It has still been performing well.  I can't complain much, when I consider the low amount that I have invested in it.

Posted: January 15, 2002, 12:24pm
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.19113111496)