Starbucks Barista - Angie Weaver's Review
Posted: December 18, 2007, 9:56am

Arrow Starbucks Barista reviews have been viewed 991,760 times (updated hourly).

Larry Holt 8.00
Jim Pennington 8.00

Manufacturer: Starbucks Quality: 8
Where Bought: craigslist Aesthetics 9
Bottom Line: I will never go back to the store bought drinks!! Sooo happy with this purchase! Thanks for your help in choosing the right machine :)

Looks great, well built piece of machinery. Great shots every single time (even the very first time I used it). Steamed milk is super easy with the fully movable steam wand.

Clean up? But, I doubt it gets any easier with any other machine.

I have been searching and searching for a great espresso machine. I love the drinks but it costs more than smoking, if I buy one latte (with soy and an extra shot) every day! But, after reading the reviews I was beginning to lose hope. I even thought "I'll just have to learn how to make it work with a cheaper model"...nope most of the time nothing but black sludge would come out. I continued to frequent the coffee shop up the street.

Imagine my surprise when I was shopping on Craigslist (in the housewares section) and I saw this item up for $100. I looked it up on coffeegeek, saw the great reviews and told him I would be there in the afternoon to buy it. When I picked it up, he gave me the machine, plus the scooper/tamper, another scooper, the pod filter attachment, all the trays/drawers (which are really convenient way to hold all the extras) the cleaning attachment, two metal carafes and the thermometer. I rushed home and cleaned it as quick as I could, eager to see the "perfect shots" I read about.

He said he couldn't find the manual, but it was available on the Starbucks website. I printed it off and got to business. I had no problem getting started, and I've only used crappy machines in the past, so this was relatively new to me. I had purchased some organic coffee and ground the beans at the store, on espresso/fine. I had some "creamy caramel" syrup and vanilla Silk soy milk.

The manual said to steam the milk first. I noticed that my biggest problem would be that I had forgot to put the milk in the fridge, so it wasn't very cold. I had read that cold milk is important. I filled the cup about halfway and attempted steaming. It got a little foam on it, but not much. Next time, I stored the cup in the fridge, along with the milk, and I've been able to make a huge cup of foam out of only 1/3 of a cup of milk consistently, with ease. I never take it over 160, either. Just perfect. Temperature is key, and I think listening to the sound that the wand makes in the milk helps also.

I poured about half the milk into the cup, then made the shots...

There isn't much to making the espresso. I just put two scoops in the filter, didn't press (because the instructions said not to) and pressed the button. Out came two perfect shots! How simple can it be?

I added those to the milk, put in 1 oz of syrup and topped with the rest of the milk and plenty of foamy goodness. If you rinse all the parts immediately, the clean up isn't too bad. I dry everything right away, too.

I had been drinking my homemade drinks for a couple of weeks, when I was out and about, and decided to stop for a latte at the usual spot. I couldn't believe how disappointed I was! What used to be my addiction, wasn't very good anymore. I think my version, at home, tastes much much better. I like the way my milk is steamed, it just makes the entire drink velvety.

Absolutely LOVED buying this off of CraigsList. It was used, but very clean when I picked it up and came with all the little extras, that he purchased himself. I would never find this new for $100 and I just couldn't pass it up considering I spend more than that in a month at the coffee shop.

Posted: December 18, 2007, 9:56am
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.180919885635)