Starbucks Italia Digital - Bob Larson's Review
Posted: May 12, 2004, 12:11pm
Starbucks Italia Digital

Arrow The Starbucks Italia Digital has 21 Reviews
Arrow The Starbucks Italia Digital has been rated 7.92 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since February 24, 2004.
Arrow Starbucks Italia Digital reviews have been viewed 140,678 times (updated hourly).

Dan Cascioppo 8.12
Ernie Scheidl 7.88
Andrew Brady 7.20
Gary Howarth 7.00
Kevin Clifford 7.00

Where Bought: Starbies Aesthetics 9
Bottom Line: If you can catch this on sale, go for it!

Good looker.
Strong, fast, fairly dry steam.
Quite tweakable for the gadget freak.
Good espresso for a non-geek.

Rinse cycle counts among the "ten" when it sends the "empty grounds drawer" message.
Steam hole could be a bit smaller to achieve a finer foam.
This machine can be choked.

Nothing in this world is perfect; hence I never give "10"s.

But I might have given this a "9" in the fit and finish department if the front panel didn't scrape on the drip tray when opening/closing.  (To compensate, I gently lift the coffee dispenser close to where it exits the front panel, while the door is in transit.)

Concerning usability, as Mark always says, read the manual first.  I downloaded one prior to the purchase, just to see if it was as bad as most.  It's actually a notch above.  And it's actually easier (more intuitive) to perform the programming functions than to read about them.

On the downside, the motor for the brew group is a bit weak.  I stalled my machine during an early experiment.  For the cost of this thing, it would be nice to be able to fearlessly explore the full range of grind and dose settings without choking it.  But within the "safe" range, it still produces far better espresso than a couple of the local shops I've visited.

I ordered this from a friend who manages a store in a neighboring state; hence the excellent price.  The machine is well packed in its box, and I would say that it could probably survive UPS without being double boxed (although mine was).  But I'm still waiting for my sales slip.  Lost in space . . .

Otherwise, an excellent transaction.  And Starbucks' two-year warranty takes away some of the anxiety of dropping this much cash for a coffee machine.

No problems at all, going on six months.

But I wish it: 1) didn't count the "blank shot" post-rinse among "the ten" and, 2) had a larger water resivoir.

Also, keep an eye on the bean hopper--it's small and might catch you by surprise when it runs out.

Although the steam hole is a bit large, and hence if you're not careful you will produce BIG bubbles, I have on occasion, and with a very steady hand, been able to produce satin-finish pourable foam like the big guys.  Cool.

Still highly recommended for the non-geek.

Posted: May 12, 2004, 12:11pm
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.187948942184)