Sunbeam EM6900 - Tony Cavill's Review
Posted: October 28, 2006, 3:35pm
Sunbeam EM6900 Espresso Machine

Arrow The Sunbeam EM6900 has 7 Reviews
Arrow The Sunbeam EM6900 has been rated 6.77 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since October 19, 2005.
Arrow Sunbeam EM6900 reviews have been viewed 47,242 times (updated hourly).

Travis Hall 7.33
Syd Low 6.75
Tony Cavill 6.00
Andrew J 5.00
Stephen Dean 5.00

Manufacturer: Sunbeam Quality: 7
Where Bought: Harvey Norman Aesthetics 8
Similar Items Owned: Breville ESP4
Bottom Line: We love it.

Good looking Solid Machine. 3L water tank means you don't have to keep refilling. Easy to use, Easy to clean. Great for making a dinner party load of coffees.

Steamer on Left meant we had to rearrange the kitchen to fit it in!
Pump can be a bit noisy.
No auto cappuccino attachment (Kids loved using this on the Krups)
Requires some care to Tamp the grind into the filter to prevent water forcing a channel and making watery coffee - but that is probably more to do with my incompetence than the machine.

Unit had to be returned after 2 weeks as it started to leak and then the steamer stopped working - replacement has been fine now for 3 months.

After using a Breville ESP4 on holiday (which incidentally I made fantastic coffee with) we decided to invest in a machine (it's going too pay for itself in under 6 months) So we went into Harvey Norman without any real investigation and I asked for one that could steam and make coffee simultaneously, the EM6900 was the only one that could and so I decided there and then we had to have it - however my wife thought it a little big for our kitchen and so after much discussion (and my desire for instant buying gratification) we bought a Krups XP4050 - to cut a long story short, the Krups Krapped after a week, so we took it back and bought this one - which we should have done in the beginning.....

The ergonomics are just great, warms up really quickly and is a complete breeze to use.  I love the steamer wand and just like using a machine that is so well built. It has great Tactile performance.

Can it produce great coffee? - no doubt about it, but it has taken some time to get a flat white out of this machine that matches what I produced with the ESP4 (which by the way is only about $80 NZ whereas this was $600 NZ)  The Sunbeam just seems to need so much more care than the Breville does in terms of the grind, the tamping of the coffee and the steaming - it's all quite bizzare really.

For the price, I don't think anything else matches it on the market - I can't help thinking $30 for a second hand Breville ESP4 would be better value. I think i might buy one just to do the comparrison.

Harvey Norman were really good about taking back the Krups and then replacing the Sunbeam
I don't think they employ coffee experts in their sales department  though.

Still think it is great even though we had to return the first one after 2 weeks due to the leak. We went on holiday recently and took the Breville with us as it is small - couldn't wait to get back to using this one again - it's just a pleasure to operate.

Posted: October 28, 2006, 3:35pm
Grey Seal Coffee
We Roast Exceptional Coffee. See Our Brew Guides And Our Coffee Courses. 10% off with 'coffeegeek'!
greysealcoffee.co.uk
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.191936016083)